Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Tips to make patches stick  (Read 24921 times)

Bobidy

Tips to make patches stick
« on: February 05, 2020, 07:35:26 PM »

Hi

Just wondering if anybody has any tips for getting patches to stick, thanks x

Hurdity

Re: Tips to make patches stick
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2020, 07:42:13 PM »

warm hand, 10 secs or more press firmly. Dry skin. Like I said before no residues on skin. Make a habit of pressing down when going to loo and each morning. Sometimes I give it another burst of warmth to stick it down ( these big patches anyway) so warm my hand with hairdryer in the morning when I'm applying my gel and press down again esp the edges.

Hurdity x

Katejo

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2020, 08:49:49 PM »

Hi

Just wondering if anybody has any tips for getting patches to stick, thanks x
Where on the body are you sticking them? I only had a problem once or twice (buttock or thigh). I now put them on my lower stomach just above my hip and they stay in position. I have to give a tug to get them off.

Bobidy

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2020, 09:12:44 PM »

Thanks everyone, not started using them yet, I'm sorting my plan if attack so I don't waste any of these uber expensive patches  ::) x

Mandee

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2020, 12:43:39 PM »

Get some Tegaderm film. It's used by tattooists to protect fresh tattoos while they heal but it's great for putting over patches and sticks really well. You can get it on ebay as I did.
Just cut a square a bit bigger than the patch (it comes on a roll and has lines on the back which makes it easy to cut evenly). I also comes as pre-cut squares but these are more expensive.

kittywells

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2020, 04:23:51 PM »

Heat the patch still in the pack for a minute against a hot kettle or mug, then hold it still for a few minutes after application. That worked for me even with the Femseven patches which are really rubbish at staying on. Some experimentation on the best site to apply is necessary too, but under the hipbone at front of pelvis seemed to stick best for me.

Sammiejane

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2020, 01:14:53 PM »

hi ladies

it isn't recommended that patches are heated as this will disperse more estrogen at once the same reason that the patches have to be kept out the sun , a warm bath is ok but heat hotter then that should be avoided

Beaker

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2020, 03:30:04 PM »

not sure about the temperature effect on patches.

If a corner of my patch rises up, I simply put an ordinary Elastoplast over it.  This sticks the corner of the HRT patch down again.  By the next day, the plaster usually comes off in the shower and I find that the HRT patch remains stuck in place.

Hurdity

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2020, 04:51:20 PM »

Heat the patch still in the pack for a minute against a hot kettle or mug, then hold it still for a few minutes after application. That worked for me even with the Femseven patches which are really rubbish at staying on. Some experimentation on the best site to apply is necessary too, but under the hipbone at front of pelvis seemed to stick best for me.

Not sure putting the patch against a hot kettle is a good idea! I would be concerned about the effect of high heat like this on the active ingredient estradiol?

Re sticking plaster or other tape - this is not usually recommended only because the patch underneath could come detached from the skin I gather - but I guess if you make sure it is always very well stuck down by pressing etc then maybe OK?

Hurdity x

lillith112

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2020, 06:59:41 PM »

I have Estraderm 50 patches and have a hard time getting them to stick, I cut thin strips of micropore tape and secure it around the edges, even stays on in shower and the bath  :)

Beaker

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2020, 09:34:21 PM »

Yes Hurdity, you have to be careful to flatten the patch fully against the skin, then apply the sticking plaster carefully on top. I only ever do this if a corner of the HRT patch doesn't stick down for me. This happened only once or twice during the hottest days of the summer.