Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: What to expect scared  (Read 1221 times)

Eagle87

What to expect scared
« on: February 05, 2020, 01:23:38 PM »

Hi need some advice

I started estrogel 21st nov to treat postnatal depression and reproductive depression.. for some reason proff studd wanted me to take only estrogel for 2.5 months before starting utrogestan.. the last 2 weeks before utrogestan was HELL..  severe insomnia anxiety..

Then I started utrogestan and sleeping better but tonight is the last night... I'm so scared what's gonna happen when I stop utrogestan

Proff studd assumed I was progestrone intolerant but doesn't seem like it...

In my normal cycle before getting pregnant I would normally feel a bit rubbish day 1-3 start feeling better ones estrogen raised fell well until day 19 and then get high anxiety /insomnia around ovulation when estrogen is peak..  feel well after ovulation when progesterone raised for about 5 days then once progestrone and estrogen dropped I was suicidal really bad insomnia dread etc until period started so how will it be know as estrogen wont dropped I'm taking 4.5 pumps

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: What to expect scared
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2020, 01:27:02 PM »

HORMONES!

I suggest that you also look at the National Association for Pre-menstrual Syndrome site [NAPS].  The advice from there saved my Life.  Dr Kath Dalton did a lot of work on how hormones affect women month long and when PMS was likely to strike etc..

Hurdity

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2020, 07:24:24 PM »

Hi Eagle87

How old are you? Maybe you would be better off with the contraceptive pill if you are still young and no medical contra-indications. Sometimes these can be taken back to back ( or there are some now produced that contain estradiol ie the same hormone as in oestrogel and that we produce in our bodies). This will limit the fluctuations of your natural cycle.

Yes many women do suffer the progesterone withdrawal symptoms - which doesn't mean they necessarily need the prog to feel good, just the withdrawal causes changes n the body and once it has gone from the system many women feel fine again.

I see you are taking a high dose of gel presumably with the aim of suppressing the cycle in the same way but with intermittent progesterone. I think it can take several cycles to fully suppress ovulation though? The pill is more constant with hormone dosing - for most preparations anyway.

You mention your cycle and how you felt on the different days - what was the length of your natural cycle?

Sorry I can't be of more help as this is a bit beyond me, but I do hope you begin to feel better soon.

Hurdity x

Eagle87

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2020, 09:15:38 PM »

Hi Eagle87

How old are you? Maybe you would be better off with the contraceptive pill if you are still young and no medical contra-indications. Sometimes these can be taken back to back ( or there are some now produced that contain estradiol ie the same hormone as in oestrogel and that we produce in our bodies). This will limit the fluctuations of your natural cycle.

Yes many women do suffer the progesterone withdrawal symptoms - which doesn't mean they necessarily need the prog to feel good, just the withdrawal causes changes n the body and once it has gone from the system many women feel fine again.

I see you are taking a high dose of gel presumably with the aim of suppressing the cycle in the same way but with intermittent progesterone. I think it can take several cycles to fully suppress ovulation though? The pill is more constant with hormone dosing - for most preparations anyway.

You mention your cycle and how you felt on the different days - what was the length of your natural cycle?

Sorry I can't be of more help as this is a bit beyond me, but I do hope you begin to feel better soon.

Hurdity x

Hi I'm 32 years I went to proff studd and he put me on this regime

How long does progestrone withdrawal last?

My cycles were quite long like 35 days but I'm sure my ovulation is suppressed as I only gave birth 3 months ago aswel as full time breastfeeding

Ladybt28

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2020, 11:16:45 PM »

hey Eagle the progesterone withdrawal is a very individual thing and hard to predict.  Again I say you have to take into consideration that you are producing your own progesterone which will contribute also.  If I remember right though you are only prescribed it for 7 days? All I can say is that after 19 months of cycles I no longer get much of a withdrawal. I get a bit tearful and a little down but nothing like before I was on this regime of hrt and no like it was when I started out.  I suppose all things are relative, it depends on the starting point as to how far you have to go before things get better.  I can't tell you any more, its not very quantifiable which really doesn't help at all.

One of the other ladies may be along in a minute to tell you their experiences.  Don't be scared xxx

Eagle87

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2020, 06:18:47 PM »

hey Eagle the progesterone withdrawal is a very individual thing and hard to predict.  Again I say you have to take into consideration that you are producing your own progesterone which will contribute also.  If I remember right though you are only prescribed it for 7 days? All I can say is that after 19 months of cycles I no longer get much of a withdrawal. I get a bit tearful and a little down but nothing like before I was on this regime of hrt and no like it was when I started out.  I suppose all things are relative, it depends on the starting point as to how far you have to go before things get better.  I can't tell you any more, its not very quantifiable which really doesn't help at all.

One of the other ladies may be along in a minute to tell you their experiences.  Don't be scared xxx
Thank you :)

Took my last tablet last night started to bleed today will see how the next few days go...

Ladybt28

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2020, 06:51:11 PM »

Are you getting any more sleep, even a little bit, Eagle?
The fact there is a quick bleed is likely to be part of your own cycle.  I have to wait 4 days or so before mine starts. It might be that because the bleed has come quickly the "desperate suicidally feeling" that can comes with progesterone withdrawal will also go quite quickly. xx

Eagle87

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2020, 07:08:07 PM »

Are you getting any more sleep, even a little bit, Eagle?
The fact there is a quick bleed is likely to be part of your own cycle.  I have to wait 4 days or so before mine starts. It might be that because the bleed has come quickly the "desperate suicidally feeling" that can comes with progesterone withdrawal will also go quite quickly. xx

I have a heavy period now and I havent taken progesterone since wed night.. I havent had any withdrawal yet do I dare believe that this is it that I wont get withdrawal? I'm sleeping better now

I just wanna stay well and stable now...