Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Free Androgen Index (FAI)  (Read 2919 times)

alib43

• First Flush
Free Androgen Index (FAI)
« on: February 04, 2020, 12:47:51 PM »

Hello Ladies

Does anyone happen to know the normal free androgen index range for a woman?

Thank you!

MicheleMaBelle

Re: Free Androgen Index (FAI)
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2020, 01:17:23 PM »

0.2-7.1

Think it will depend on where you are in meno. I'm post and 1.53 and it was perfectly normal.
Trichologist was happy with my reading as I had to have full bloods done due to hair loss ( privately, not GP practice although they took the bloods )

X

alib43

• First Flush
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2020, 01:43:30 PM »

Thank you!

Ah. So I am peri and have a FAI of 0.6. Stopped taking testosterone for a month and the headaches, lethargy, muscle aches, lack of motivation etc have come back.
I think I?ll start rubbing the gel on again!

MicheleMaBelle

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2020, 02:36:26 PM »

Courtesy of medichecks results page following my tests;

The free androgen index (FAI) is a calculation used to determine the amount of testosterone which is free (unbound) in the bloodstream. Most testosterone is bound to proteins sex hormone binding globulin and albumin and is not available to interact with the body's tissues. The FAI is a calculation based on the ratio of testosterone and SHBG and is a measure of the amount of testosterone that is available to act on the body's tissues.

In women the free androgen index can be useful in assessing symptoms like acne, unwanted hair growth, and hair loss which are often seen in polycystic ovarian syndrome.
What might a low result mean?
A low free androgen index could be a sign of lower than expected testosterone levels (androgen insufficiency). This can cause symptoms such as loss of libido, fatigue, and may also have an effect on bone health.
What might a high result mean?
An increased free androgen index is a sign of excessive testosterone. In women this is most commonly caused by polycystic ovarian syndrome.