Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Change in bleeding and sore breasts after 3 years of HRT  (Read 1147 times)

Tas

• First Flush
Change in bleeding and sore breasts after 3 years of HRT
« on: February 03, 2020, 06:46:05 PM »

Hi, any advice on the above problems? I'm struggling to get a GP appt and want to know if I should be worried and hassle them for an urgent appt.

I started HRT (Evorel sequi) 3 yrs ago.m due to the peri menopause. The bleeds have always been a bit erratic but they've practically stopped over the last 6-8 mths, just the occasional spotting. Since the beginning of the year my breasts have been very achy, which is very unusual. I have lost a lot of weight over the last month (low carb diet) which is the only change.

Is any of this normal? Or should I be pushing for an urgent GP appt?
TIA

Hurdity

Re: Change in bleeding and sore breasts after 3 years of HRT
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2020, 06:08:46 PM »

Hi Tas - your post got missed! The forum is v large and busy these days!

:welcomemm:

What is the change in bleeding you are concerned about? If it's lack of bleeding then definitely nothing to worry about! It is abnormal bleeding - heavy or at the wrong time - which is more a cause for concern. According to the stats on this website around 15% of women don't bleed on sequi HRT - and this is more likely to happen (if it's going to) the nearer you get to menopause itself.

If your breasts are achey this could indicate a hormonal change - so could be your own cycle coming into play again? You haven't said how old you are? If your periods were already becoming erratic when you started HRT you may well be at or near menopause by now but if you have the occasional ovulation and hormonal surge then you will experience some period type symptoms.

Also if you have lost weight you will likely be absorbing more oestrogen etc from the same dose (50 mcg patch) although I would have thought the weight loss would be slow enough for you to acclimatise to any consequent slight increase in systemic levels of oestrogen as a result?

However if you are concerned about your breasts  - and the sensations and soreness persists (and you don't suddenly get a period) then please do consult your doctor to be checked out - always better to be safe. If you're under 50 then you won't have had a mammogram yet - but do make sure you always examine your breasts reguarly anyway.

I hope the aches and pains are easing...

Hurdity x

Tas

• First Flush
Re: Change in bleeding and sore breasts after 3 years of HRT
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2020, 09:52:21 AM »

Thanks! I'm 46 and was having very irregular periods when I started HRT. I've lost almost a stone in a month so very rapid weight loss, maybe that explains the sore breasts. I have seen some info in low carb diets causing sore breasts so I'm guessing 'that's explains it.

I haven't had a proper bleed for about 6-8 mths and now just having very random spotting. I would imagine that I'm getting very close to the menopause ( family history of early menopause)

I've got a GP appt today, though unlikely they?re an expert in the menopause.....