Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Panicking: Progestins and Heart Link  (Read 1556 times)

nicky_boo

Panicking: Progestins and Heart Link
« on: January 24, 2020, 07:09:29 AM »

I am reading Dr Uzzi Reiss's "Natural Hormone Balance" book. I got the recommendation from this site.
In there, Dr Reiss says Provera reduces the diameter of the arteries leading to the heart. He also says hew progestins such as levonorgestrel reduce the benefits of estradiol on the oxidation of bad cholesterol.
He says women complain about chest pains after taking provera, even after a relatively short period of time and cardiologists are well aware of the problem.

I started to have some chest pains lately and I am worried that this may be linked to the progestion in the Mirena coil. I got it 3 weeks ago for HRT.  Heart disease run in my family. After reading the strong statements in Dr Reiss's book about heart attacks and progestins may be sending women to grave, I am worried.

There are a very knowledgeable group of ladies here. Very keen to hear your comments please.

Ladybt28

Re: Panicking: Progestins and Heart Link
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2020, 02:19:02 PM »

I can't comment on the book Nicky_Boo but I took Provera for a while and I didn't get chest pains but then we are all different.  I couldn't take it for other reasons.  It is an oral medication and it upset my stomach and also it messed with my head but I am a little sensitive to progesterone.  That said my problems are with continuous progesterone and that included a Mirena.

Having said that in most cases women get on fine with a Mirena whether for birth control or as part of hrt treatment.  There are millions in the world and loads of ladies on the forum with Mirena's.  Any form of medication for hrt or not has risks and there are a handful of people (relatively speaking) taking that medication who react badly but to be honest I don't thing they would be being used as frequently as they are if "they were sending women to the grave" on a regular basis.  Personally I wouldn't worry.
Being anxious and worried is a pretty common symptom of peri/meno?.my opinion your health anxiety is probably what is causing the palpitations but if it continues and you are worried, go to you doctor and get your heart checked. xx

dahliagirl

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2020, 04:12:19 PM »

Provera,(medroxyprogesterone acetate) was the progestogen used in the WHI study (alongside conjugated equine estrogen).  There are reasons to think this combination was why some of the results of that study were not good (along with using women who were already significantly post menopause)  I don't think it is used in the UK.

The Mirena uses Levenorgestrel, which is widely used in contraceptives and in the Femseven patch (unavailable at the moment).

Ladybt28

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2020, 04:24:26 PM »

I think you can still get conjuncted equine estrogen (its called Premarin) and Provera (medroxyprogesterone) in the UK dahliagirl.   Well you could towards the end of 2018.  it's just it the Premarin doesn't come up very often anymore because it is old hrt and lots of women are against it because of the way it is produced.

You can put Provera alongside any other stand alone oestrogen, because I was prescribed it before my current regime.

Wrensong

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2020, 08:03:25 PM »

Nicky_Boo, I wouldn't panic about your Mirena, especially as the systemic effects are said to be limited with that method, but if you are worried do go & chat with your GP about it. 

You can still get MPA/Provera in the UK - I take it & I know of other members who do too.  Given so many of us react badly to progesterone & progestogens it's often a case of taking what you can tolerate or going without HRT, I'm afraid.  The "gold standard" Utrogestan is unfortunately like poison to me & with current limited availability of alternatives, choice is pretty restricted.  I researched MPA before starting it & would have preferred another option but had tried everything else & found nothing I could both absorb well enough to control symptoms & also tolerate.  My MPA was prescribed by a very experienced, top Endocrinologist with my informed agreement & I take the lowest dose so I'm not too worried, especially as I'm considered at low risk for cardiovascular disease.  With Evorel Conti/Sequi due back in circulation soon that does bring back another transdermal option for those of us who can't tolerate Utrogestan.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2020, 09:55:31 PM by Wrensong »

nicky_boo

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2020, 08:42:04 AM »

Ladies,
Thank you very much for your comments. I will discuss my concerns with my GP. With all this hormone havoc, I am not sure if concerns create issues or if the issues are real.
Kind Regards,
Nicky_boo