Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Tinnitus!  (Read 1667 times)

Cassie

Tinnitus!
« on: February 03, 2020, 03:41:37 PM »

Hi Ladies, my tinnitus is really driving me insane at the moment. I have a hearing loss due to the little bones in my ears becoming fixated, its known as otosclerosis, I think there may be some ladies on here who also have something similiar. I have not tried an aid yet, not sure if that would help the tinnitus.
Its a constant ringing and along with the blocked feeling in my ears, its making me feel quite panicky, what if I have this ringing for the next 20 yrs, I think I will climb the wall, any suggestions would really help, I know lots of people have something similiar but how to not focus on it, especially when its quiet, well I am aware of it all the time really, just horrid. Apparantly HRT can worsen it, but I am not going to give this up as well.  :-\

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Tinnitus!
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2020, 03:51:41 PM »

There is a tinnitus association in the UK - would it be worth having a look-see there? 

Mine has been quiet in recent days but other days I'm aware of ringing all the while, I even ask DH if he can hear it  ::)

I can't pin-point if there is a trigger.  Loud music can be dangerous to the ears ......... = tinnitus.

CLKD

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2020, 06:59:50 PM »

There R according to the British Tinnitus Association there are 7.1 Million sufferers in the UK!

Do get in touch with them.

Cassie

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2020, 08:38:22 PM »

Wow thats a huge number of people not getting loads of sleep, thank you will do. :o

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2020, 09:01:29 PM »

There was an item of ITV News at 6.00 p.m.

Sparrow

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2020, 10:17:36 PM »

It's really common, especially as we get older.  I get a little, intermitedly,  but husband and eldest son get it worse.

You can buy sound blockers that help, but they are very expensive, so don't know what to suggest.

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2020, 04:03:46 PM »

today mine seems at the back, outside of my head on the left  ::) - clear as mud?

Blot

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2020, 04:38:13 PM »

I have tinnitus and have had it for over 20 years. The sound I hear is hard to describe but I don't focus on it and my hearing is not affected as far as I know. It's just part of me now.

How to not focus on it? Well I always have background noise on the go like the radio or tv as it's more noticeable when it's quiet but it doesn't bother me when I'm at work or out and about. I have just learned to live with it but you have my sympathies.

Has it just come on Cassie? I have friends who've had it for a short while then it goes. We have special tinnitus sessions at our local hospital where they give help for the problem. Maybe ask your doc about help available to you.

Jellyb

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2020, 08:15:31 PM »

Hi Cassie,
I also have otosclerosis in one ear with tinnitus & then pulsatile tinnitus in the other. I know what you mean about your ear feeling blocked,  think that's the otosclerosis. Mine was hereditary, my mum has it.
You can download tinnitus apps on your phone and customise them to make sounds that block it out - white noise, birdsong, water flowing, etc.
I tried this, along with a speaker pillow (bought on Amazon) to listen to at night, as that's when it's worse. My husband couldn't hear the sounds laying next to me. Try Tinnitus Calmer app but there are plenty available.
Hope that helps.

Cassie

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2020, 07:30:42 AM »

Thanks ladies for the advice, its really darn annoying at times, I do notice, that it gets worse, when I get stressed!
JellyB I have it in both ears but my right is definitely worse, I am not sure how I have it as my mom had perfect hearing, my Dad struggled as did my Gran but neither ever had a diagnosis of Oto, I presumed it was just normal old age loss of hearing but perhaps it was Otosclerosis  :-\
Do you have an aid or do you manage without. Mine has been going downhill very slowly as in almost 20 yrs ago that I noticed it, but thinking an aid may help with the tinnitus and also assist me as I do struggle unless in a noisy place then its much easier as people naturally speak louder.

Jellyb

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2020, 11:12:43 AM »

Hi Cassie
I do have a hearing aid, however i don't wear it at all unless I am going out with a group of people and I know it will be noisy.  Then, it sometimes (not always) helps me to hear whoever is talking to me and not pick up on the conversation next to me.
During a normal day though I'm fine, I can hear ok and don't feel the need for the HA.
I guess it's personal preference.  Have you had a hearing check?
Not sure if they still do them free, but you used to be able to get a preliminary one done at Specsavers.  That's where I got my HA from.