Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Side effects - estradiol?  (Read 1161 times)

Clairew1978

• First Flush
Side effects - estradiol?
« on: March 02, 2024, 05:32:49 PM »

Have had my patch strength changed to 50mg from 25mg and brand changed to Estradiol. Have had funny tingling like sensations in breasts, arm etc. Has anyone else experience anything like this?

Penguin

Re: Side effects - estradiol?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2024, 06:38:44 PM »

Yes, whenever I have tried to increase my estrogen my breasts have got bigger, puffier and more sensitive. Tingling, ****ling,  burny, you name it. It is the estrogen receptors waking up. Oh also nipple sensitivity amd very erect nipples that could poke your eye out!

I also get more jittery when I've tried to increase.

Hurdity

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2024, 08:29:17 PM »

HI Claire

Yes sudden increases can cause side effects for a while as your body acclimatises. 25 mcg is a very low dose so hopefully you will settle on 50 mcg soon.

Estradiol is not a brand but is the name of the type of oestrogen hormone that is being replaced and the one that is bio-identical to our own oestrogen. Maybe you have another brand of patch and now have a different one. They all sound similar - Elleste, Evorel, Estraderm, Estradot!!! I've used all of those but happiest with the one I;m on now which is Evorel though I also liked Estradot all the time I was using it.

Hurdity x

Scampidoodle

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2024, 03:52:16 PM »

Why do you prefer evorel hurdity?

sheila99

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2024, 05:27:08 PM »

If you're finding it difficult you could cut a piece off the patch so you can increase more gradually.

KaraShannon

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2024, 01:18:51 AM »

The only thing I can add here is that I've had tingling in both hands since I mixed my evorel sequi patches up last week.  So, yes I suppose it's a hormonal thing. (note, if it was severe or in one hand only I'd have gone straight to the doctor, but it's more subtle)

Katie1980B

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2024, 05:34:58 AM »

Following the shortage of Estrodot patches, I was doing 75 and 25 patches to make up my normal 100’s. Finally the 100 patch became available in February, so I went back on them, and noticed a definite change.

Like others I’ve had a weird tingling in both hands, very sore boobs etc. however I also initially changed my utro at the same time, so I have been in an anxiety hole over the last month.

Bloody hrt is witchcraft!

Hurdity

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2024, 07:44:07 PM »

Why do you prefer evorel hurdity?

1 It sticks better I feel. I was always happy on Estradot but when it gets very hot (the weather) it would slide about a bit as I think less stable at higher temperature and because it was so small sometimes I would lose them - but I did use them for years. Evorel is a good size for me.

2 In my opinion it gives me a higher dose of oestrogen than Estradot. I can't prove that as I have no idea what my levels are but I feel even better on Evorel than I did before on Estradot, and my withdrawal bleeds are slightly heavier so I've had to shorten the cycle from what I used to do (not fun at my age).

Hurdity x

KaraShannon

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2024, 01:19:02 PM »

Following the shortage of Estrodot patches, I was doing 75 and 25 patches to make up my normal 100’s. Finally the 100 patch became available in February, so I went back on them, and noticed a definite change.

Like others I’ve had a weird tingling in both hands, very sore boobs etc. however I also initially changed my utro at the same time, so I have been in an anxiety hole over the last month.

Bloody hrt is witchcraft!

how are you now Katie?

I'm feeling a bit better today, my period has arrived, I can't help thinking a lot of the headaches and tingling and other really weird symptoms I've had are to do with the uterus in some way.  In the past they called it hysteria didn't they, thinking it derived from the uterus, but maybe there's some truth in it (but the word hysteria became a derogatory one). 

Tingling in the hands worried me a lot, also tinging at the front of my thighs and speaking was an effort, finding words, etc.  Very frightening.  I asked to see the only doctor I know now at my surgery and can't see him for another 2 weeks.  If the symptoms were serious I'd be in trouble.

joziel

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2024, 01:29:10 PM »

I think tingling and neurological symptoms are much more likely due to fluctuating estrogen levels - rather than too high/low. I've been dealing with neurological symptoms of menopause for 2 years now and IMO they are hell. Inner tremors, hypnic jerks, insomnia, heart racing etc.

I have just increased my E to 8 pumps of gel and finally I think this is beginning to be enough to buffer the fluctuations from my own ovaries. My serum level is around 400pmol (I'm a poor absorber).

So if you have just reduced from 50 to 25 and got these symptoms, I'd think that the 25 might not be enough to buffer the fluctuations from your own ovaries and you might actually need to increase.

It has taken me ages to increase to 8 pumps and I could only do it with the support of the Newson Clinic, I wouldn't have had the confidence to go so much against my GP. I'm so glad I have. I just had the best sleep ever (well, in 2 years) since increasing...
« Last Edit: March 06, 2024, 01:30:42 PM by joziel »