Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Bleeding, utrogestan, other options  (Read 751 times)

Mintea

Bleeding, utrogestan, other options
« on: February 02, 2020, 11:02:35 AM »

I've been taking utrogestan vaginally every other day for about a week with 1 pump of estrogel. I have been feeling very sedated and finding it difficult to get motivated though it seemed a bit better taking the utrogestan every other day. Anyway last night I started bleeding- not much and brown colour. Still a bit this morning.  I've only been taking hrt since 12th Jamuary so is this normal breakthrough bleeding? I am 6 years post menopause.
I know it's still early days for me with the hrt but I didn't realise it would be so difficult!
On the plus side my joints are definitely a lot less painful but I was hoping it might help with depression but it doesn't seem to be doing this yet. The sedative feeling is really strong and something I didnt expect.
I'm wondering if I might be better on a different hrt but dont really want to start having periods again at my age (61) so think it would have to be a conti regime. Anyone any suggestions? Should I stick with what I've been doing for a bit longer although with the bleeding I'm not sure to continue with the vaginal route. I took it orally last night.

Hurdity

Re: Bleeding, utrogestan, other options
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2020, 08:41:41 AM »

Hi Mintea - sorry you are having bleeding problems having started HRT. I'm afraid bleeding or spotting is common on starting any continuous combined HRT for the first 6 months - until your uterus lining settles. This is the perennial problem for all of us who don't want to take too much progesterone and yet don't want to continue bleeding - especially in our 60's! I have chosen to have a cycle every 6 weeks to reduce the amount of prog I take - but I absolutely HATE having to do this. However I could not bear the alternative either  - perpetual sedation and brain fog! It's something you will need to sort out for yourself. The sedative effect may settle although if you've been taking it for 3 weeks this should have done so by now....The only other non-oral alternative is the Mirena coil and you may not wish to use a synthetic progestogen.  Sorry not to be more encouraging - but I have been on my regime for years and now mid 60's so haven't given up yet - but considering it at some point. As always if you are concerned do consult your doctor. Good luck, hope your mood lifts and let us know how you get on as time goes by...

Hurdity x

Mintea

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2020, 09:39:35 AM »

Thanks Hurdity

I was wondering whether a combined patch might be better.

Though I don't know if any are available at the moment.

Mintea

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2020, 02:18:04 PM »

Yes sorry Mintea - I am so used to these not being available that I forgot to even suggest them! In fact Evorel conti are due to come back into production ( fingers crossed!) at the end of the month so I would get thee down to the doc to get a prescription ready if you would like to change and then hopefully soon after that date they will filter down the supply chain....in the meantime - hang in there!

Hurdity x