Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Estrogen patch + progestrone pill: Any experiences? So unsure!  (Read 1102 times)

Souris

Estrogen patch + progestrone pill: Any experiences? So unsure!
« on: February 04, 2020, 08:38:51 PM »

My gynecologist suggested starting me on an estrogen patch (Vivelle 0.05 mg twice a week) and a progesterone pill (Prometrium 100 mg daily). Does anybody have any experiences with that combination? [I realized that since I'm in the U.S., the brand names are probably different. I guess I really want to know about the patch + progesterone combination.]

I'm still struggling with whether to take HRT or not. I'm certainly not doing well right now, that's for darn sure (if you read my other thread!), but I'm always leery of new medicines. I'm afraid it might make things worse. I know it's a question of balancing the risks vs. possible rewards, and there's no one-size-fits-all for HRT, but it's really hard to decide.

I took birth control pills for 15 years because of ovarian cysts, and I never really had a problem with them. Stopping them certainly seems to have messed me up. Even though I get migraines, I chose to keep on the pill because the ovarian cysts were so excruciating.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2020, 12:21:14 AM by Souris »

Mogster71

Re: Estrogen patch + progestrone pill: Any experiences? So unsure!
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2020, 06:06:21 AM »

Hi Souris

I've started on this regime this month too. That's quite a low dose of oestrogen? I'm still classed as peri-menopausal so I'm only due to take the progesterone for the last 12 days of my cycle.

I agree with you that it is a real balancing act. I too had no issue at all with my BC pills through my 20s and 30s, even at the much higher doses and the progesterone in it was levenorgestrel.

Maybe give it a whirl for a few weeks or try a couple of cycles and see how you feel. The beauty of using separate hormones is that it is easier to tweak! I'm sure there will be others along to comment too who have been using a similar regime

Best wishes
Mog x

Perinowpost

Re: Estrogen patch + progestrone pill: Any experiences? So unsure!
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2020, 08:34:06 AM »

Hi Souris

What helps me reconcile taking hrt is the knowledge that I'm not taking a drug, I'm replacing hormones which my body is no longer making.

Also, there are a lot less hormones in hrt than there are in the pill, so if you can do one you can certainly do the other.

If you're not feeling well 'what's to lose. I know hrt was life changing for me (after a bit of tweaking) and oestrogen deficiency is life long. You can always come off it if you really hate it x