Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Mirena coil and recurrent UTI  (Read 1489 times)

Menobun

Mirena coil and recurrent UTI
« on: January 28, 2020, 05:35:11 PM »

I was advised to insert Mirena alongside Sandrena gel as I started getting random slight bleeding on Utrogestan. Also, I did not get on with Utrogestan too well, it was making me tired with a brain fog, so I was skipping it about every other day.
I had a terrible time adjusting to this coil when it was first inserted for about a month ? headaches, severe tiredness, sleeping most of the time, but then it all settled and my night sleep miraculously improved. 

Removing Mirena 2.5 years later was a hard decision for me because of hormonal imbalance etc... but at the same time it gave me frequent vaginal infections and consequent cystitis flare-ups, it was a vicious circle! I just had another bout of cystitis caused by increased vaginal discharge. In the end I could not take it anymore and Mirena had to go - back on Utrogestan then  :( Just finished my treatment with 7 days of antibiotic and 7 days of boric acid capsules vaginally. Still the swab taken at the time of Mirena removal showed gram-positive cocci!

Has anybody had personal experience of recurrent/embedded UTI with a Mirena coil? Did any of you remove your coil for this reason and did your symptoms improve afterwards? Has anybody tried Fluomizin capsules to 'sanitize' vagina?

« Last Edit: January 28, 2020, 05:39:20 PM by Menobun »

Ladybt28

Re: Mirena coil and recurrent UTI
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2020, 03:45:59 PM »

Hi menobun, just looking through and saw no one seems to have replied to your post.

I have to say I haven't read about anyone having a proven infection imbedded in their coil but that's not say no one has had it.
Check out the search box and have a look at the Vaginal Atrophy threads.  VA can often present with symptoms like thrush or cystitis etc but there is actually no infection present (although you did say your Mirena tested positive for one!).

Kathleen

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2020, 06:03:37 PM »

Hello Menobun and welcome to the forum.

I don't have any personal experience to offer but I thought I'd pass on something I read on a nutrition science site.

Years ago it was discovered that handling raw chicken in the kitchen caused UTIs. Seems crazy I know but if this is something you do regularly you may want to change your habits for a while to see if it helps.

Basically in the 1970s researchers noticed that women who suffered recurring UTIs had an infection caused by a strain of e coli from chickens. After more study they learned that women who handled and/or ate chicken developed UTIs but women who did not deal with chicken were free of the condition.

I realise that this advice seems a little weird but it may be something that you want to consider.

Take care.

K.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2020, 08:07:37 PM »

We haven't had problems with handling raw meat of any type - I say 'we'  ;D but of course, regulars know that DH does the cooking  ;)

Do read the threads about vaginal atrophy.  VA mimics repeated urine infection-type symptoms really really well! 

:welcomemm:  browse round. Make notes.