Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: New here..have a question about breast pain  (Read 2219 times)

Kris10mo

New here..have a question about breast pain
« on: January 29, 2020, 03:47:27 AM »

Hi ladies,
My name is Kristin. I'm 51.  I don't know much about this menopause stuff.  I had my last period in May 2019. Up until then I was regular like clockwork every month.  My cycle just seemed to quit, overnight and with very little changes.  The only thing that I've noticed is a strange feeling in my left armpit.  I used to have the same feeling almost monthly during PMS, and it would subside once the period actually started.  But now, since May when my cycles stopped, I have same feeling/pain in my left armpit.  Some days it is very noticeable, and others it's in the background.

Thoughts please. 

Thank you,
Kristin

Lyncola

Re: New here..have a question about breast pain
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2020, 04:34:32 AM »

Hi Kris10mo,
Im 46 years old and I'm premenopausal, I had a hysterectomy 19 months ago still got my ovaries.

when I had periods I would occasionally get breast pain really bad around my periods, more my right one. My breast can get so sore on the sides. After my hysterectomy it can still occasionally happen.

Since the age of 40, it's recommended for me to have mammogram every two years and ultrasound on my breast every year. It's because my breast has at least 4 lumps plus they are hard.

I've read that breast cancer does not cause you pain. My guess it's hormonal related, but I'm no doctor. If I was you, I would go see your doctor. When was the last time you had a mammogram?

Sorry I'm probably not much help, but I understand how sore these breast can get at times.

AgathaC

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2020, 11:08:40 AM »

The first thing to say is that of course any changes in your breast - be it the look of them, the size of them, lumps, discharge, pain et cetera should be checked out properly. And it's really important to make sure that you attend any mammograms or screening processes.

Having said all of that I do have some hopefully encouraging comments about breast pain. I suffer with it for maybe 3/4 weeks of each month. I get sore boobs with throbbing hot pains which radiate out to my armpits. I would say it's particularly at the side of each boob closest to the armpit. For my part, it makes me conscious of my boobs almost all of the time which fuels my health anxiety and general worries. Incidentally my boobs are big and dense and heavy size 36E.

As a result of that discomfort, and there being breast cancer in my family, I have a check every year. My breast consultant has reassured me about this kind of pain (although of course also reminding me about checking et cetera) and said it's a very common hormonal thing. He recommended starflower oil to be taken every day. I do this and I also wear a bra even at night.

There is a website called 34 menopause symptoms which has a big section on this symptom.

Wishing you well on your menopause journey and hoping that this information might help a little x

sheila99

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2020, 02:24:03 PM »

It's likely to be hormonal but I agree you should get it checked out. It seems a little unusual it's only on one side.

Kris10mo

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2020, 04:21:13 AM »

Hi Ladies,

Thank you for the replies.  I am up to date with mammograms; I get them yearly.  I had a scare in 2014; went all the way to biopsy stage and consult with surgeon, only to be told that I am fine and I have dense breasts.  I've had regular scans since then.  This past summer 2019, at my regular scan I was called back for second look, but radiologist said the second view looked normal. I had the discomfort in my breast then too.

Since I wrote a few days ago, I did one hot compress on the painful area, and it has subsided a great deal.  I still am aware of it, but think it might be more somatic since I am hyper aware of it.  I saw my GYN a few weeks back and he did a breast exam and said things were fine. 

Ugh...just so scared about every little twitch.  I'm going to look up the breast and hormonal connection.

Thank you,
Kristin

Dierdre

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2020, 06:43:08 AM »

I only ever had breast discomfort on the left side before periods, so assumed normal. Its sounds hormonal and although your last period was May 19 you could still have more. Its quite normal to go this long without and then get another one.

jaypo

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2020, 08:05:16 AM »

I used to get super sore breasts before a period,like you I have a family history of breast cancer and I'm very aware of any twinge.Cysts are very common and can also cause an ache but these are normal as we age.
The professor I saw said pain is rarely a sign of breast cancer

Kris10mo

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2020, 09:15:17 AM »

Thanks ladies.  I had a few ovary twinges the last few days, and then today had lots of cm, so the thought of another period, may be exactly what might happen.  Ugh and here I thought I was so close. 

jaypo

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2020, 09:22:17 AM »

I had a partial hysterectomy so obviously periods stopped but because I still have my ovaries I knew exactly when I'd normally be due a period,very sore breasts and mood swings,so even if you DONT actually have a period you may still have all the symptoms of one.

Dierdre

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2020, 12:32:25 PM »

Please still be vigilant even if you have a painful breast or lump. My sister is under going chemo at the moment for very agressive grade 3 breast cancer and she first noticed it because it was sore and painful! Luckily its Stage 1 and the chemo is working.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2020, 12:34:32 PM by Dierdre »

Kris10mo

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2020, 05:36:05 AM »

Thank you. I'm scared to ask for an ultrasound, but I'm more scared of it being something.  I have no one to help me; it's just me and my three daughters.   But yes, I'll make myself follow through.  Thanks everyone.