Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Closest continuous HRT progesterone to dydrogesterone?  (Read 650 times)

Nairn

Closest continuous HRT progesterone to dydrogesterone?
« on: January 28, 2020, 10:07:51 PM »

Hi Ladies

After trying several preparations I wonder if anyone can help with the type of progesterone? The only one I seem to be able to tolerate well is dydrogesterone, but I can't get it in either patch or continuous HRT with enough Oestrogen to offset the other symptoms, regardless of the fact that patches are tricky right now.

I feel like I've tried so many, and currently on the gel and 100mg Utrogestan, but the side effects from the Utro are too much.

Thanks in advance

Hurdity

Re: Closest continuous HRT progesterone to dydrogesterone?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2020, 10:39:06 PM »

The only other progestogen dervied from progesterone available in HRT is medroxy-progesterone (acetate) or MPA aka Provera. Some women get on well with this one. There is also drospirenone but I don't know much about this one - except that it was in tablet HRT Angeliq which has been discontinued a while back.

This is an ongoing frustration for all of us  Nairncat - it seems that the ones resembling progesterone are not available transdermally - well there are progesterone creams but none commerically available at the right strengths to guarantee protection of the uterus.

Many of us wish for dydrogesterone to be available separately here in UK ( even though it is oral preparation) - but alas this doesn't seem to be happening. I wrote to ?Mylan I think - but got no reply :(

Patches are available but you might just have to keep changing preparation until the current problems are resolved and supply is increased to cope with demand.

Hurdity x

Nairn

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2020, 09:26:55 AM »

Thanks Hurdity. Apparently the dydrogesterone is available separately in Ireland and some EU countries  - just not the U.K. !

sheila99

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2020, 09:32:29 AM »

Can't you add gel to top up to the oestrogen levels you need?

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2020, 05:13:27 PM »

Thanks Hurdity. Apparently the dydrogesterone is available separately in Ireland and some EU countries  - just not the U.K. !

Yes - for some bizarre reason - was withdrawn for commerical reasons I gather in 2008 - but I am sure there would be a better market for it now....

Hurdity x