Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Licensed use of utrogestan in UK  (Read 692 times)

Karen P

• First Flush
Licensed use of utrogestan in UK
« on: January 29, 2020, 02:52:14 PM »

Hi everyone
Please can someone tell me categorically if Utrogestan is licensed in the UK to be used as part of a combined HRT regime? I was pretty sure it was, but went back to the docs for my repeat prescription of estraderm 50 and Utrogestan, which I have been using for over a year with brilliant results, to be told by a different doctor that it wasn't licensed, and wanted to know why another doctor had agreed to this. He was quite aggressive and this is not the first time I've had a discussion with him over my choice of HRT, which I've researched with the help of this wonderful forum. I know that this won't be the last time I need to defend my choice, so if anyone could point me in the direction of something that I could show this particular doctor, that it is a licensed route in the UK I would be so grateful!
Many thanks
Karen xx

Hurdity

Re: Licensed use of utrogestan in UK
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2020, 06:11:23 PM »

Absolutely categorically yes!

Your doc is out of order and how dare he be aggressive? However some NHS boards/Trusts or whatever they're called don't recommend them and probably on cost grounds so they might not be on your local formulary list. They're not down on the formulary HRT list for my area but the doc can just override this ( because it is a licensed medication) with a note on the computer or however they do it. There is no excuse not to prescribe it as it is the ONLY progesterone product licensed for use as part of HRT. Therefore there is NO ALTERNATIVE if you do not want to use synthetic products but bio-identical (body-identical) ones.

Here is the entry on smc:
https://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/product/352/smpc

This is for 100 mg capsules. The 200 mg ones used to be available for HRT but they don't package the 200 mg ones for hRT eny more - just for fertility. These can also be prescribed but most docs prescribe 2 x 100 mg x 12 days (for cyclical use) and 100 mg (daily or Days 1 - 25) - of 28 day cycle - for continuous use (or nearly so.)

he can also look it up on MIMS - their compendium of drugs....

Let us know how you get on...

Hurdity x

sheila99

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2020, 06:56:37 PM »

He might have looked up the wrong thing. Under utrogeston my doc could only find the 200mg ones, licensed for ivf but not for hrt. He needs to look under Micronised Progesterone to find the 100mg which is licensed for hrt.

Karen P

• First Flush
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2020, 07:53:23 PM »

Thanks so much for the info ladies and the link Hurdity, I knew I'd read it somewhere before when I was researching at the beginning. I will be ready for rude doc next time!
Karen xx