Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Utrogestan Timings  (Read 3565 times)

Mogster71

Utrogestan Timings
« on: January 27, 2020, 05:45:54 AM »

Hi girls

I've just moved over to Estraderm MX50 patches and utrogestan 2 x 100 on last 12 days. Only started last week so I'm still in the patch phase (I'm 48, think very late peri and seem to be progesterone sensitive).

My question is when do you actually take your utrogestan?? On the box, it says to take at night on an empty stomach, but when I spoke to the pharmacist, she said it doesn't matter what time, the empty stomach is more important so it goes straight into your system. They class an empty stomach as 2 hours after a meal and half an hour before the next. I have to eat little and often and eat my main meal by 4pm to avoid reflux, so quite often have a snack in the last couple of hours before bed at 9ish.. The only time I can see it working is in the morning, if I take them before I leave the house and eat breakfast at work. Does it really make you very drowsy? I need my wits about me for my drive in, and of course functioning at work!!

Thanks
Mog

Ladybt28

Re: Utrogestan Timings
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2020, 11:11:06 AM »

Hi Mogstar71,
I have utrogestan on a cycle just like you 12 x 200mg but I do not take mine orally.  I am a bit progesterone sensitive too which is why I use it vaginally.  You use the same tablets but just shove them up (sorry for the graphic description but that's what you do!)

The only way you are going to know if it has a sedative effect on you is to take it orally and see what happens. I already have dodgy sleep patterns and do not want to have a "hung over" effect during the day so I never even started to take it orally.  Some ladies like the  sedative effect because it makes them sleep better and they don't feel "hung over" in the morning so they are fine.  I also know from here that it can cause other tummy effects if you take it orally but the only way to find out is to do it.  I never wanted to experience any of those things so I just didn't bother to try.  Since the day I was prescribed I have used the 2 tablets for 12 days vaginally.
I don't get the sedative effect at all.  I did get cramping for the first 2 months but just took some paracetamol.  It settled after that and I have no bother.  I have been on it 20 months or so taking it this way.

Mogster71

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2020, 04:37:37 PM »

Thanks ladybt

You have been amazing to me over the last few months, all your help with Femiston and everything! Bless you  :thankyou:

I think we've all gone beyond worrying about being graphic on here lol!!  So I will ask, does anything come down again, tablet-wise?? Am I right in thinking that utrogestan is not licensed to take vaginally but off the record as such, it's fine to be used that way?? Sorry to ask, I've only just started paying attention to gel/patch and utro posts as previously was on Femiston so didn't need to know!

I'd rather not take a tablet if I don't have to... ;)

Ladybt28

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2020, 05:50:28 PM »

You are very welcome Mogster, its no bother to answer peoples questions.  I too have had much help from the forum, it's been a lifeline :)
It doesn't say on the UK leaflet that you can use Utro vaginally but it says so on the European leaflets...I have no idea why not on the UK one so "in theory" that use is "off licence" in the UK but there are loads and loads of ladies on here who use it that way and who have been advised by their meno consultants to use it that way. My meno consultant at the clinic told me it was fine, so I wouldn't worry...go right ahead.

As for "falling out", if you don't push far enough they can fall out but they dissolve really quickly and personally (I think it must just be me...short fingers or big ***...not sure which  ;) ;) ;D) As you should use them last thing at night...you are lying down so they shouldn't fall out!  I find they can dissolve on my finger so I use an old applicator I have from Canestan thrush cream and pop them in there and push!  In the morning you may see a few white bits floating in your wee..that is the bits left over from the case the progesterone liquid is in. If you squish one of the Utrogestan tablets you will see the have a liquid inside them with a rubbery sort of coating.

Go on a head, there should be no problem whatsoever except for possibly a few cramps when you start.  I'm not sure why that was either...just my body getting used to having something it wasn't used to shoved up there ::)
There is nothing lose...let us know how you get onx

Mogster71

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2020, 07:15:40 PM »

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

That made me laugh out loud and my husband just said "what's funny??""

Thank you so much, I'll definitely let you know how I get on xx

Hurdity

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2020, 08:15:29 PM »

Lol - you do have a funny way of describing it Ladybt! Couldn't explain it better myself!

Mogster - your pharmacist is wrong. The info actually says it is taken on an empty stomach because bio-availability is INCREASED when taken with food and not on an empty stomch, so I guess all the studies were done in a standardised way ( assuming everyone did as they were told  ::) ) to arrive at a particular dose.  Also maybe you can guarantee a particular dose more easily if taken on empty stomach. Therefore if you take it with food there is no problem - you might just get more of it into your system. However if you sometimes take it with and sometimes without then absorption is likely to be more variable so you might get spotting or something. However who actually has an empty stomach in the evening anyway? - it's most likely to be at its emptiest in the morning....

I wouldn't want to take in the morning 1) because of side effects at peak systemic level which would occur while awake 2) Have had several children and it would fall out before being absorbed!

Good luck :)

Hurdity x

Ladybt28

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2020, 11:33:30 PM »

?.just tell it like it is, that's what I say :)
I hope you just said to him "don't worry you, wouldn't understand" Mogstar cos otherwise I bet it was an interesting conversation!  ;D ;D

Mogster71

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2020, 05:38:19 AM »

@hurdity   :lol:

@ladybt the conversations around my hormones have become so much more random in the last year, I doubt anything I say would surprise him!! I am very lucky to have a husband that's unshockable. Even though my little Rumplestiltskin moment of rage about something minor last night was a bit  ??? ???

Actually, I do have one more question for you both; if you have utro upwards rather than downwards what happens if you then want to have adult time?
« Last Edit: January 28, 2020, 05:44:42 AM by Mogster71 »

Ladybt28

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2020, 12:07:51 PM »

I believe you are supposed to wait an hour but hurdity might know different.  I am on a cycle so I only have to think about it for 12 days.  We are morning people  ;D ;D TMI :-X :-X and if not I kind of have a clue what  might happen so if I think I'm on a promise  ;) ;) I wait and put it in after or until I know I was mistaken!!!  ;D

Mogster71

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2020, 01:10:15 PM »

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Oh how funny.....

In all seriousness though, I thought I ought to check, after all, if it's absorbed quickly  :o