Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Slimfast  (Read 4045 times)

Jellyb

Slimfast
« on: January 27, 2020, 02:46:54 PM »

Hi
Has anyone tried Slimfast (shake for breakfast, meal replacement bar for lunch & healthy dinner)?
Did it work and how much did you lose on average per week?
Thanks.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Slimfast
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2020, 02:54:09 PM »

Nope.  Have you had a check up with your Practice Nurse for advice?  To make sure that 'slimfast' has enough goodness in to maintain a healthy body.

Maybe make a list for 5 days of everything that passes your lips to see how 'good' a diet you already eat.  Take to the surgery where you can be weighed.  My GP weighs me Spring and Autumn.  Some people find cutting down on portions helps or putting smaller portions on to a smaller plate. 

What foods don't you like?  4 me it's the thought of corned beef, tripe, octopus, tomatoes [too watery] ....... but DH cooks healthy meals with lots of mixed veg., either roasted or stir fried.  Do you cook at all?  Not one of my hobbies I'm afraid so like you, I would probably reach for a similar product if necessary.

Weight Watchers helped my MinL - she had to weigh portions onto a saucer for the next day, once it was gone that was it.  She kept the weight off but she enjoyed cooking anyway. 

Any idea how much you would like to lose? 

Sparrow

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2020, 02:54:36 PM »

Yes I have tried it and it does work to a degree.  However,  leaves you feeling very hungry, it's expensive and it has lots of additives. 

It's okay for a short term fix i.e. to lose a few pounds before holiday etc., but otherwise I wouldn't bother. 

Now, if I need something to give me a kick start etc., I use Slender Blend, from Protein World.  Better product (vits, minerals, protein, carbs etc.,) far better taste, more flavours and works out cheaper.

Lost about a stone, last summer, with this. 

Jellyb

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2020, 03:20:24 PM »

I don't need to lose much, I'm short and only a few lbs over what I'd like to be.  Just wanted to do it for a month or so, along with regular exercise, to kick start the weight loss.

We already cook healthy meals in the evening, it's just the sweet things that I find hard to resist. 

Although I've been on SF for a week and I must say, it seems to have removed my sweet craving and I do feel full up between meals/fruit in between. 

Lost 1 lb in the first week which, as I say, I'm ok with as I don't have a huge amount to lose.  I'm upping the exercise too so that will also help.

jaypo

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2020, 03:40:07 PM »

Hi jellyb 👋 I personally wouldn't use it,(a) it's not suitable for veggies(me) and (b) it is,as said previously full of additives,can you not try smoothies? Just blitz some fruit and no sugar yogurt together?much tastier and I dare say better for you but good luck whatever you choose,the last few pounds are always the worst

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2020, 04:26:16 PM »

A whole pound could be the weight of a good bowel movement  ;)

Give it a try if you want as well as thinking about what you eat generally.  Make lists?  Make recipes and buy appropriately?  When I was growing up sweets were a treat as there wasn't money spare.  Also I fancy food stuffs then go off them  ::) so it might be chocolate one week, crisps the next ....... Report back ;-). 

I think we will all feel more like exercising now that nights are pulling out  8)

jaypo

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2020, 05:05:15 PM »

I just ran 6 miles in 50 minutes,not bad for an old un  ;D

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2020, 06:33:07 PM »

Was it that Sabre Toothed Tiger behind you again  ;D

I haven't run for years.  Brisk walking makes me puff a bit  :-\ I know what I ought to do  ::)

Winterose

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2020, 12:23:26 PM »

Like you I only had 4 lbs to use and I managed that in 2 weeks with slim fast banana shake and innocent almond milk  it's delicious and some not great ingredients but did the job and sometimes i substitute it for lunch when I'm in a hurry . No constipation either . And you can buy in supermarket .

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2020, 01:16:13 PM »

:thankyou:

If I was choosing 'slimfast' I would use it as one meal replacement initially and decide which proper meal to cut out, it wouldn't be breakfast but probably lunch as that is the hardest choice anyway 4 me.