Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Could an increase in hot flushes ever mean LESS Oestrogel is needed?  (Read 1766 times)

kdee69

I'm 54 and meno and currently take 2.5 mg Provera and 3 pumps oestrogel. Apart from feeling panicky whenever I hear a bang or when my husband drops a pan lid (🤤) I've been fine on this dosage for a good few months . Last few nights though, I've woken in thenight feeling the clammy feeling on my neck and upper chest. Not a full flush but how they started many moons ago. My sleep is also disturbed. Is that a trigger to increase the gel or could it ever be a reason that I'm getting too much gel. I've probably been full menopausal for about three years in total. I know it probably sounds like a dumb question but I don't want to increase the gel unnecessarily if I don't have to.

NorthArm

Re: Could an increase in hot flushes ever mean LESS Oestrogel is needed?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2020, 06:53:43 AM »

That's a great question kdee and one I've wondered myself. I don't have the answer, hopefully someone might be along to answer it x

kateJ

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2020, 12:19:37 PM »

The same thing happened to me after 2 pumps for 4 months then upped to 3 pumps on the advice of the menopause clinic because my estrodial levels were only 135. After a few months on this dose, I started getting a night sweat, had some spotting and very poor sleep.  My levels were measured again and in just under a year, my levels had only risen to 145, so since December I have been on 4 pumps and no night sweats and as long as I don't apply any of the doses at night, my sleep is getting better.

Maybe have your levels measured?

Sammiejane

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2020, 01:05:53 PM »

katej

do you take progesterone at all and which one ?

also have you noticed any hair shedding/loss since being on the gel ?

thank you

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2020, 01:49:12 PM »

I'm 54 and meno and currently take 2.5 mg Provera and 3 pumps oestrogel. Apart from feeling panicky whenever I hear a bang or when my husband drops a pan lid (🤤) I've been fine on this dosage for a good few months . Last few nights though, I've woken in thenight feeling the clammy feeling on my neck and upper chest. Not a full flush but how they started many moons ago. My sleep is also disturbed. Is that a trigger to increase the gel or could it ever be a reason that I'm getting too much gel. I've probably been full menopausal for about three years in total. I know it probably sounds like a dumb question but I don't want to increase the gel unnecessarily if I don't have to.

kdee69 - It's likely that if you are still getting night sweats and flushes even after increasing your oestrogen dose that the dose is too low as katej suggested and found from measurements of oestrogen levels (although these are inaccurate).

There should be a point at which after you start HRT that the flushes and sweats cease and if they don't then the usual expalantion is that the dose is too low - and could be due to lack of absorption and a different preparation might be advised?

So,me women continue to experience flushes on continuous doses of progestogens - but not sure how this might be affected also by oestrogen simulataneously - ie potentialy higher doses of oestrogen needed to control flushes than if taken cyclically ( which some women have also reported).

You could try increasing by half a pump for a few weeks maybe, to see what happens?

Hurdity x

Tinkerbell

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2020, 07:51:22 PM »

I use 3 pumps of Estrogel, i was splitting the dose but noticed if i forgot the morning one my symptoms came back, i now just use it all in one go. Maybe you need to use more, perhaps as Huridity said and try half a pump more.