Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Making own veg stock  (Read 1581 times)

Jari

Making own veg stock
« on: February 22, 2020, 07:56:40 PM »

Has anyone been doing this already. I am so annoyed that I have not thought of it before. I make a lot of soups and always use a veg stock cube.

I read today how to make veg stock at home.

When you cut the long ends off leeks,  ends off carrots and outer skins off onions... save them and put in bag in freezer.

Then when you have a full bag, add parsley/ thyme ( from garden) and simmer in large pan of water for an hour ish...

Add bay leaf, ground nutmeg.
You can get ideas if you google it.

Then strain... put veg into compost or whatever and save liquid. Use or freeze for when making soups etc.... x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Making own veg stock
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2020, 08:33:45 PM »

My problem is that I forget that they are in the freezer  ::).  We used to make apple sauce from home grown fruits ....... cook the Pork and always remember as we sat down to the meal.

My maternal Gran had an open fire with stove and an 'arm' that swung over the fire.  Either the kettle was on it bubbling gently or there was a pan of odds and sods which would have everything thrown at it during the week.  By Friday it was the evening meal.  Rabbit or pigeon with ends of veg., onions, salt, pepper; herbs in the Summer but we didn't have garlic or ginger. She never used rice for stews as DH does. 

Strained it makes a good healthy meal with home made bread ;-).  Stock cubes are good too but may be more salty. Great for camping trips  ;)

Gran did make proper rice puddings in the oven with a thick skin ......... I digress  :-X

sheila99

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2020, 08:57:53 PM »

Life's too short! A stock cube vs a freezer full of inedible veg offcuts and an hour to make it - no contest for me  :) Anything edible from veg we have already eaten and the sheep have the carrot peelings and broccoli stalks.

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2020, 10:22:42 PM »

I often use veg stock cubes or stock pots but sometimes when I am feeling very housewifely and just cooked a lovely cauliflower or romanesque it seems a shame to throw away the liquid. I save it and add a carrot and an onion and maybe some celery and a bayleaf and it makes lovely stock.  I freeze it and use it to make soups.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2020, 09:57:31 AM »

We used to freeze left over liquids in ice-cube trays, easily popped out when required.  Of course, we forgot  ::)