Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Amitriptyline AD  (Read 825 times)

Jaz

Amitriptyline AD
« on: January 24, 2020, 04:36:00 PM »

Hello
I'm post menopausal on HRT and started Testosterone 2 months in.
My main symptoms is waking in night, its got really bad last two weeks and getting me down and anxious. I was hoping T would help by now like HRT did when I first used it within a month.

Anyway doctor has prescribed Amitripyline very low dose 10mg. He says its much less addictive and i wanted something that didn't make me feel groggy next day, like other medications.
I had asked for Zimovane (Zopiclone) recommended by someone, however, he discouraged its use due to being highly addictive.
 I just want it for the odd night, i get off to sleep ok but starting to wake at 2am or later and cant get back to sleep.

Has anyone tried any of theses, please let me know what you think/experiences.

Jaz x

Whatsupwiththis

Re: Amitriptyline AD
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2020, 05:03:02 PM »

Hi Jaz...I was on Amitriptyline for suspected vulvodynia which definately helped.  I am now back from 50 mg. down to 10.  Definately helps with sleep.  The nice thing about ami. is non addictive.  I can easily stop it now without any problems.  Hope this helps.

Ladybt28

Re: Amitriptyline AD
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2020, 06:02:02 PM »

I can only comment from my experience.  I was on them 5 years for nerve pain primarily and I had depression as well but they didn't help.  Gave all my meds except blood pressure and hrt up over 4 years ago.  HRT got rid of nearly all my problems and symptoms including bad insomnia.  Still have insomnia but not constant. Use alternative natural melatonin or valerian extract to treat the insomnia when I get out of routine or my head is running riot.

I am on testosterone as well as gel and utrogestan.  Gel and Utrogestan took 6/7 months to settle. Started testosterone at 6 month point and it took a good 5 months to settle and work with the gel/utro and get rid of nearly everything on a regular basis.
Testosterone is a real slow burn medication.  In fact hrt in general I would say requires a good 3/4/5 months in some cases before there is glimmer of working.

If I know I need to sleep and am worrying about not sleeping and know I absolutely need to be on my game the following day I use the melatonin tablets.  If I wake and cant get back to sleep I use the Dormesan Valarian drops in water.  Neither give you that hung over feeling that over the counter sleep meds or pharma meds can give you.  Hope this helps.