Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Ultrasound - what to ask  (Read 692 times)

Anotherorchid

Ultrasound - what to ask
« on: February 27, 2020, 12:50:48 PM »

Hi. I've got an ultrasound 5th March. I'm 41, thought to be in perimenopause but have had prolonged bleeding. Apart from the thickened of the uterus lining, what else do I need to ask about at my ultrasound? Thanks in advance.

Hurdity

Re: Ultrasound - what to ask
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2020, 04:57:00 PM »

Hi Anotherorchid

If you have been referred for an ultrasound scan due to heavy bleeding and you are still having fairly regular periods - make sure the scan is carried out immediately at the end of your bleed - probably not the last tiny trickle but when most of the flow has passed - if you are able to schedule the date accordingly. The doc will have said in the referral what the scan should consist if but normally for bleeding it would be the uterus thickness TAS (abdominal) and sometimes with a TVS (vaginal) they can also detect any irregularities or abnormalities such as fibroids etc which would determine whether a hysterosocopy and/or biopsy might be needed.

If you have a cooperative sonogrpaher you can ask them at the actual scan although they will also send a report to your doc. Last time I had one she was a bit snotty and sighed when I asked her the thickness as she had to go back and have a look! Previously they've been lovely!

They will probably also check your ovaries (for size, cysts etc) and sometimes a complete pelvic scan is ordered too.

All the best!

Hurdity x

Anotherorchid

Re: Ultrasound - what to ask
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2020, 09:58:37 PM »

Thank you so much for your help. I really appreciate it. I feel scared of asking the operator what it shows, but it would be helpful to know specific things to ask for. Thanks again. Anyone else who has ant further suggestions, I'd welcome them. Thanks.