Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Advice on next steps please  (Read 811 times)

jennyr265

Advice on next steps please
« on: January 23, 2020, 08:45:10 AM »

Ok so far I have tried gel for 5 months but didn't absorb it. I then went onto Elleste solo 1mg for 3 months - no improvement in symptoms but my estradiol level went up into the 200s (it had dropped on the gel to less than 100).
In December I started on Elleste solo 2mg but after 1 month I developed bad stomach problems - diarrhoea, back pain etc so I stopped. After 2 weeks off my stomach is now back to normal so I assume that it was the Elleste solo causing the problems.
I have a GP appointment tomorrow- do I ask for patches which may be an issue due to lack of availability and my absorption difficulties or a different HRT preparation such as Tibilone?
I'm 54 and post menopausal.
Any advice, personal experience etc would be very welcome. Thanks!

Sammiejane

Re: Advice on next steps please
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2020, 08:57:06 AM »

hi

do you take a progesterone at all ? if so which one

jennyr265

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2020, 11:06:28 AM »

Yes i did - progesterone orally every day 3 weeks out of 4.

Sammiejane

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2020, 02:18:11 PM »

hi

there is also femoston conti which gives you estrogen and progesterone in tablet form continuously x

there isn't really any other patches i believe available at the moment as patients are being changed to tablet or gel which u have tried both

sorry i cannot be much more help but i?m sure someone else will be along shortly

sheila99

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2020, 02:21:22 PM »

Patches are safer than oral so I would go that route if you can. Maybe ask the pharmacy which they can get hold of before you see the gp. The other thing I would suggest is that you start off with a sequi routine. You'll have a bleed but you'll know if it's the progesterone you can't tolerate then you can either change the prog or go continuous if it's OK.

Hurdity

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2020, 05:42:17 PM »

Hi jennyr265

I agree with sheila99 - there are plenty of patches available - you just need to know which ones. Some pharmacists have the power to change the prescription to a different patch if the one prescribed is not available - this happened at my local practice. You could also ask the GP for "Estradiol patch" rather than a specific brand so this gives more flexibility. I have mostly only ever used patches (since aged almost 54 and late peri-menopause) and have always found them successful.

Good luck :)

Hurdity x