Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: New to the site hello  (Read 604 times)

Eternalpunk

New to the site hello
« on: January 22, 2020, 11:44:48 AM »

Hello,  I started on sequi patches a year ago after a few years of symptoms I did not associated with menopause! (I still have my gynae bits) My main priority problem for seeking hrt were the increasing menstrual related migraines (during peri menopause) , as they are so debilitating. The patches did work but upon reflection I do think I tend to absorb them too quickly. I am now using estrogel which I like too. I have been on this 2 weeks, have had every side effect you can think of and due to advice on this forum splt my dose. I was advised to take 3 pumps, but I was on a 100 patch so started with 4 pumps as this I believe is the equivalent?  I was reluctant to have the risk of an oestrogen slump migraine if I started on 3 pumps! I follow the instructions on the gel and have been sticking to the same site (inner thighs). However, Monday the application did sting and after drying the skin was red and dry. I think this caused me to absorb the oestrogen too quickly and later that evening had a migraine! So my second application I put on my outer thighs and have continued to apply it here. Is it OK to rotate the site? I read an article about tissue exhaustion, but also another conflicting one that stated that application to the same site builds up a more stable dose. As stability is my major goal to prevent the migraines any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Ladybt28

Re: New to the site hello
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2020, 12:13:05 PM »

Hi Eternalpunk :welcomemm:
You can put the gel on your shoulders/upper arms too if you like and want to vary the site.  As you have changed from one delivery method to another so recently you may find that it is just the upheaval of the change which is causing the headaches to reappear.  It should settle again.
I use the gel and it is mixed with ethanol which is alcohol to make it absorb. Are you sensitive to cleanser or stuff with alcohol in the delivery method, it could be this which is causing it to sting.  I don't have a problem but some ladies do.  Its not the oestrogen itself, its the stuff it's mixed with to make it work that's  the problem. x

Turkish delight

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2020, 12:19:46 PM »

Hia Eternalpunk

:welcomemm:

Sorry for the migraines, they are enough to drive one nutso I know.
I had many too before hrt(estrogel)took them away yay!

I have heard of ppl using outer thigh more recently, I'd say pick a spot, whichever and stick with it, unless of course, you encounter a bad skin reaction again. I've gone by the leaflet using inner thigh, but would like to change bcz even when dry it can stick to clothing from body heat of 2 thighs. Haven't switched bcz as you say, I'm worried about losing effectiveness due to different absorption issues

TD.

« Last Edit: January 22, 2020, 12:21:33 PM by Turkish delight »

Eternalpunk

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2020, 12:20:53 PM »

Hello,  thank you for the swift reply. Not usual for me to have a reaction to alcohol in a rub anyway. Not so good at drinking these days ;D during peri have very dry brittle nails, skin and hair. My husband calls my feet hooves they are so dry and hard! (How rude!  ;D). My thyroid test was raised but I am borderline so no treatment. Don't want to stop the gel just tweak so remain stable.

Ladybt28

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2020, 12:35:27 PM »

the leaflet also says about shoulders and arms.  I switch between the 2 sites but use my thighs more.  Moving the site doesn't seem to change the absorption for me but we are all different.  Maybe wait until a full 3 months or more before changing the site for the whole thing to settle and then move it 2days one site, 2 days another etc? 

Turkish delight

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2020, 12:41:24 PM »

Ah maybe you need to get on the water wagon, you must have heard it is supposed to help with migraines.

I've always got water at my side wherever I am. Once you get in the habit it's easy.

TD

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2020, 02:31:09 PM »

Don't put it close to the breasts ;-)

Many find alcohol intolerance as they age  ::) as well as various food sensitivities - my taste buds alter as the day goes by, morning cuppa is delicious, by mid-afternoon it tastes foul  :-\

:welcomemm: