Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Is restarting HRT a gamble?  (Read 993 times)

Skylark

Is restarting HRT a gamble?
« on: February 14, 2022, 05:53:37 PM »

Hi ladies,

Long story but I've posted before.  I'm 57, still peri although had a mirena fitted in November and bleeding and spotting seems to have finally settled. I took myself off sequential HRT due to constant bleeding and flooding but later had a polyp removed via hysteroscopy and my endometrial biopsy showed disordered proliferative endometrium. Another biopsy in November showed some improvement and that's when the coil was fitted.

I spoke to my doctor today as I've been off work with stress and anxiety, work-related,  but even though I've managed to get a new job my anxiety is still through the roof, mood very low, zero confidence,  hot flushes,  etc, etc.  I wanted to soldier on as I'm so relieved the bleeding has settled and I've ever started to believe I might actually go through menopause. But my first symptoms of perimenopause included extreme anxiety and low mood,  early waking, just like this.  My doctor agreed HRT could be the answer and has no qualms me restarting Oestrogel. I have another check and biopsy if needed scheduled in May. My doctor thinks it's worth trialling the HRT before I start the new job. My fear is what if it sets the bleeding off again? I know I have continuous progesterone from the coil now and it's had 3 months to thin the lining but an oral conti regime was disastrous for me three years ago presumably because I was still very much in peri. I wondered about taking the lowest dose possible? Doctor suggests two pumps,  could I use one?

I'd be grateful for any advice. I'm desperate to feel better and face this new future.

X

sheila99

Re: Is restarting HRT a gamble?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2022, 06:30:13 PM »

You could start on one pump and increase if there's no bleeding. A mirena is usually good at preventing bleeding, probably better than any other hrt prog, and your doc says it's OK so personally I'd give it a go.
Anxiety is so debilitating, I hope it works for you.

Sazzle42115

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2022, 06:41:04 PM »

No advice but good luck it's so hard to believe that you feel like this isn't it. Well done on the job xx

Grheliz1

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2022, 09:58:10 AM »

My mirena seems to be doing the job of stopping bleeding on Oestrogel pretty well. It's been 14 months since I had it inserted, for similar reasons to yours (but they couldn't rule out atypical hyperplasia, which worried them because of the cancer risk). I get very light spotting on a 'kind of' monthly period-like basis, although I'm on continuous HRT. That's all. I'm on three pumps of Oestrogel a day. It works really well for me.

Skylark

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2022, 06:53:59 AM »

Thanks so much, ladies.

Sheila99, yes, I think I'll start with one pump and see how I go. At the moment I feel like even a small dose would help.  I feel as if I'm about to jump out of a plane from the moment I wake up.  I just don't feel like me anymore.

Sazzle, thank you, I think I was so done with my current job adrenaline kicked in at the interview.  Now I'm terrified.  Menopause is horrendous.

Grheliz1, I'm so glad that regime is working for you - it gives me hope. Quick question: last time I used gel or patches I used to apply in the evening but I've noticed a lot of ladies use oestrogen in the morning. What's best?

Thank you all so much. X