Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Early menopause and recurrent postmenopausal bleeding  (Read 1088 times)

kerdub

Early menopause and recurrent postmenopausal bleeding
« on: January 15, 2020, 08:23:28 PM »

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum and looking for others with similar experience. I started perimenopause quite early (39) and had a few years of all the symptoms, etc. My mom also went through menopause early so it seemed normal and I managed without HRT or anything.

I'm now 46 and my last "regular" period was Spring 2016 and that was it for about a year. Then it came back in May 2017. I reported to my doctor and had blood tests, tvu, etc and everything seemed fine. The "diagnosis" was that I was still in perimenopause. I had a few more periods/bleeds over the next few months and then they stopped again - also no more perimenopause symptoms so I started counting again. 14/15 months later (Oct 2018) I had two more heavy bleeds 21 days apart. They seemed like typical periods so I ignored it thinking it was just more rogue ovulation and reset the calendar. Now - another 14 months and guess who is back?!? I had very sore breasts a few weeks ago and now have cramps, nausea and all the other stuff that usually comes with my period but more intense. I went to the Dr earlier this week and have a referral to a gynecologist for an endometrial biospy and an appointment for an ultrasound on Friday.

I know postmenopausal bleeding happens frequently and that my chances of cancer are low due to my age and absense of other risk factors. I'm just wondering if anyone else has had repeated encore appearances of their period after early menopause and how long it lasted (i.e. Am I looking at getting my period back every year until I hit 'normal' menopause age?). My Dr doesn't seem to know much about early menopause and hasn't been able to provide much information. I've spent more time than I should on Google but can't find many stories that sound like mine.

Thanks in advance. I'm trying hard not to worry or get ahead of myself but it just doesn't feel right.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Early menopause and recurrent postmenopausal bleeding
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2020, 08:42:03 PM »

Hi!  My periods waxed and waned for several years but I knew it was The Change.  I would miss months then back they would come  >:(  ::).  I carried sanitary protection for 5 years after the last bleed: in case  ;D

Browse round.  Many GPs/Gynaes have little or no idea about menopause.  Good that your GP is referring you for investigations to rule out anything as you go along.

You may like to drop into the daisy web-site too, for 'early' menopause advice.

Some ladies find that keeping a mood/food/symptom diary of use.  Also decide which symptom you would like to ease first. 

kerdub

Re: Early menopause and recurrent postmenopausal bleeding
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2020, 08:53:11 PM »

Thanks for that. I don't actually have any symptoms that I am worried about other than the bleeding. Hot flashes, mood swings, etc were awful for a few years (like marriage threateningly awful) but I haven't had any of that since my periods stopped in 2016. Myy fsh levels then put me right at the threshold for menopause so I think it's mostly done. It's more the recurring period that is worrying/frustrating me.  Can I ask if you went over a year between periods and how long that lasted?