Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Sore swollen breasts on kliofem  (Read 1398 times)

Juljam2

Sore swollen breasts on kliofem
« on: December 22, 2019, 02:29:47 PM »

So I'm on kliofem after being unable to get my evorel conti but after 4 months I still have swollen breasts ( didn't have before them ) the pain has eased but I do take starflower now. However they are huge now also I get more headaches than usual and swollen ankles. I've been on hrt 8 yrs I'm 59 my dr keeps suggesting I come off them so I've been reluctant to ask for a different hrt in case she gives me a hard time again but I don't know what to do. I'm at the point where I want to stop them due to the symptoms but I'm scared what will happen. Can anyone offer any advice, I was fine on evorel conti though I have always had night sweats even on them, and kliofem hasn't changed that.

Hurdity

Re: Sore swollen breasts on kliofem
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2019, 07:22:06 PM »

Hi Juljam

Sorry to hear about your symptoms. The HRT should be sufficient to stop night sweats and flushes and if it doesn't it means that the oestrogen dose is probably not high enough - if no other condition is causing these.

Secondly your doc should not suggest you stop HRT against your will. I'm in mid 60's and been on it 12 + years. Current thinking is that there is no specific age to stop provided you have no adverse health conditions and the risks ( such that there are, or thought to be) are explained to you.

You may well be reacting to taking the oestrogen and progestogen in tablet form - which is causing the side effects. Transdermal is better as you get older anyway. You could either decide to take it cyclically to see what happens (but you would get a monthly bleed) or, if you can't get patches, you could change to oestrogen gel and a separate progestogen. All the different types are listed under hRT preparations on this website:

oestrogens: https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/treatafter.php

progestogens: https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/to_progestogens.php

You could then tweak the oestrogen dose separately from the progestogen.

The other alternative is to take the gel along with norethisterone in tablet form although the doc would have to decide what preparation to give you ( probably x 2 mini pills?) - or else the Mirena coil? There are lots of other possibilities.

Hope this helps :)

Hurdity x

BoMuzie

• First Flush
Re: Sore swollen breasts on kliofem
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2020, 05:49:06 PM »

Hi.
I'm about 6 weeks into Kliofem after my GP switched me from a different HRT. lost some weight, but yes do have sore breasts.
Main issues though are cramps and spotting / smearing, which I hate.  Also acne. I didn't even have that as a teen.
With these things go away and if so how long does it take?