Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Very high estrogen blood test result  (Read 1289 times)

Peacegirl

Very high estrogen blood test result
« on: January 10, 2020, 05:11:08 PM »

Hi,
Not sure if this should be posted under 'other health discussions' or here but I had some unusual blood test results and I wondered if anyone can shed light or advise
I'm 59, post-meno, trying to balance hrt (evorel 50 patches x 2 per week and provera 5 mcg daily) with hypothyroid treatment (levothyroixine) which I've been on since June. My thyroid readings have been 'normal-ish' but I've had an awful 'phantom hangover' (like an all encompassing brain fog) for weeks and wondered if Oestrogen was blocking the uptake of Levothyroxine so (in the absence of available medical advice) I had a private blood test.
The results showed my Oestrogen levels as very high and also high Prolactin.
Could this be just too much hrt (or not enough progesterone?) And what could the Prolactin reading mean?
Getting a G.P apt will be difficult and I don't know if I'm up for the usual demoralising fobbing off, so if anyone can help at all I'd be most grateful. :)
I'm slightly panicking and just thinking stop the hrt.

Results
Oestradiol X >11010 pmol/L
Follicular 45.4 - 854
Ovulation 151 - 1461
Luteal 82 - 1251 Postmenopause <100
(Range: < 100)

Prolactin
757 mU/L
(Range: 102 - 496)

LH
62.1 IU/L
Follicular 2.4-12.6
Ovulation 14.0-95.6
Luteal 1.0-11.4Postmenopause 7.7-58.5
(Range: 7.7 - 58.5)

Taz2

Re: Very high estrogen blood test result
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2020, 05:25:09 PM »

Hi Peaceful. I'm wondering whether this is connected to a problem with your pituitary gland? There is a condition where you can develop a benign tumour on the gland which raises the oestrogen and prolactin levels from what I recall. It may be worth researching it.

Let us know how you get on.

Taz x

Taz2

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2020, 05:28:32 PM »

I've just remembered it's called a prolactinoma. It can lead to low thyroid too I believe.

Taz x

ellmcdee

• First Flush
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2020, 05:34:29 PM »

Hi Peacegirl

sorry cant answer question but wondered if you'd managed to get to GP and get some answers?
i've just had private blood result today prior to  going to NHS menopause clinic this friday and my oestradiol has come back as 4,434 pmol/L. big jump from 260 in December!
no idea what the hell is going on!

i'm hoping you got some answers to your situ?

ellmcdee