Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: utrogestan and hairloss  (Read 4892 times)

Sammiejane

utrogestan and hairloss
« on: January 09, 2020, 01:24:52 PM »

good afternoon ladies

could you please share your experiences as to whether or not you have found utrogestan to be beneficial for your hair or not so much in terms of hair shedding x
whether u take cyclical or continuous

thanks

Sammiejane

Re: utrogestan and hairloss
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2020, 03:27:00 PM »

stellajane

that interesting stella x may i ask what your long cycle is and which estrogen u take and dose ?

do u take testosterone too and have u found this helped x

thank you huni

Sammiejane

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2020, 03:56:25 PM »

hi stellajane

i've had hysterectomy and ovaries removed so i don't need progesterone but want to try it one for my hair as i've been shedding hair on estrogen only but also so mood aniexty not sure if it will help but also weight gain caused by estrogen x if i feel worse or shedding gets worse i'll stop it as i don't need it and then my option will be just E and T

jaycee

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2020, 04:41:16 PM »

Sammiejane i think progesterone is worse for making hair fall out,it was Norethisterone which caused my rapid hair loss, after already having lost some,[ and my daughters,] but it all depends on which progesterone  maybe,, some are gentler than others Your stress about your hair loss could be making it worse, more than anything else, probably
« Last Edit: January 09, 2020, 04:43:04 PM by jaycee »

Sammiejane

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2020, 12:22:36 AM »

hi jaycee

it would be utrogestan 100mg daily i'd be taking x

estrogen only has put my hair into shedding though so i'm wondering if it's imbalance between E and P x the ratio and estrogen dominance

Sammiejane

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2020, 11:28:45 AM »

hi jaycee

i think i will try it as estrogen also made my mood very up and down and the weight gain to over a stone so i hope progesterone will help it may not i may feel horrible and hair loss may be worse in which case i'll stop it but at least i've ruled it out i guess and then i will just take E and T and see x

Hurdity

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2020, 05:18:17 PM »

good afternoon ladies

could you please share your experiences as to whether or not you have found utrogestan to be beneficial for your hair or not so much in terms of hair shedding x
whether u take cyclical or continuous

thanks

I've been taking progesterone (ie body-identical) vaginally for  almost 12 + years mostly cyclically and haven't noticed any effect on my hair particularly. I mean my hair is thinner now but then I'm mid 60's so that's expected. It certainly has not benefitted ( and I doubt ever would benefit) my hair. I don't think that is one of its functions re hair?

hi stellajane

i've had hysterectomy and ovaries removed so i don't need progesterone but want to try it one for my hair as i've been shedding hair on estrogen only but also so mood aniexty not sure if it will help but also weight gain caused by estrogen x if i feel worse or shedding gets worse i'll stop it as i don't need it and then my option will be just E and T

I wouldn't take progesterone to benefit hair though - there are too many potential negative side effects.

Hurdity x

Sammiejane

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2020, 01:34:27 PM »

hi hurdity

i also want to take it to help stabilize my mood too as fluctuations in estrogen made me a wreck since i've stopped hrt 5 weeks now my mood much better no aniexty less headaches and hair shedding less virtually stopped not as bloated but VA worse and sleep worse flushes only couple at night nothing major x
i was estrogel only 2 pumps

Hurdity

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2020, 05:17:00 PM »

Hi Sammiejane

If you're in surgical menopause as far as I understand it your oestrogen levels should not fluctuate to any appreciable extent and if they do it means that the regime may not be suiting you, so for example with gel – I gather that some gynaes/docs suggest splitting the dose, and some women feel that patches give a steadier delivery. Progesterone acts as a sedative and as I said comes with other side effects – but if you want to use it as a drug ie for helping you to sleep and as a sedative by all means try although many feel that mood is actually depressed while taking it.

Do make sure you get some local oestrogen for VA asap as this will not get better without help – Vagifem and/or Ovestin or 0.1% estriol cream.

Glad you are feeling better overall in some respects ....

Hurdity x

Sammiejane

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2020, 10:50:19 AM »

hi hurdity

yes i've been on ovestin for VA and have had to increase from once a week to twice due to stopping the estrogel as it was helping for this. x

i'm unsure what to do my menopause have said i can only take gel or patch but all patches out of stock and don't particularly want a patch stuck on me i'd sooner take oral hrt and the gel is a pain applying it every night x that being said it did have it benefits in VA and sleep . i had my blood hormone levels tested 10 days apart and it showed my reading of 368 on one test and then 113 on the other . i have also read that the hair follicles have progesterone receptor in them and that progesterone can also inhibit 5a reductase to stop testosterone converting to dht . but i don't know whether to take estrogen and testosterone but i'm aware i'll need to build my levels of estrogen up again but my gut is saying just take all 3 but then the other half of me is saying if they had left my ovaries i wouldn't need any hormones and if i'm going to end up taking all 3 what was the point in having them removed x

i also asked to try femostan conti because i know it combined but at a set dose which i thought well the ratio already calculated in the tablet between E and P so just pop one of them seems so easier then having to mess with gel and the patch i guess stick it on and leave it but i'm worried about in the sun with a patch as u have to keep it covered and then sweating in the heat will it stick .

Sammiejane

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2020, 05:20:33 PM »

hi rockhopper

can i ask what estrogen you are on ? and do you take the utrogestan continuous orally or vaginally ?

thank you

jaycee

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2020, 05:04:42 PM »

I posted a couple of weeks ago that i was having a scalp biopsy to try to find the cause of my hair loss,as i had all tests, ferritin,thyroid etc, and all came back ok,
The biopsy today was more or less painless, but bled a lot,had 3 stitches which i have to have out on the 31st
I get results in 2-3 weeks
Very lucky that one of my Drs is a Dermatologist and did it at the surgery

Rockhopper, can i ask what collagen you take, and has your hair improved with it, or has it always been thick
« Last Edit: January 20, 2020, 11:31:36 PM by jaycee »

jaycee

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2020, 05:13:02 PM »

Think i maybe posted his in the wrong place ::)