Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Patches to gel  (Read 1149 times)

karenc1900

Patches to gel
« on: January 08, 2020, 09:25:41 AM »

I'm 54 and had been getting on well with Estrodot 50 and Mirena for over a year then the patch shortage..tried estraderm but they are huge and didn't stick well ! so I swapped to gel, started on 2 pumps probably about 6 weeks ago..
all seemed to be going well, feeling good, then last Fri thought ummm maybe I feel a bit meh, not sleeping as well, waking with a headache so increased gel slowly to 2.5 then 3, still not great then last night, wam awake at 5.30 hot sweat and palpitations  :-\
luckily I do have a few spare patches so stuck a 50 on, fingers crossed it will kick in quickly as I have forgotten how horrible I used to feel  :(
Is it still difficult to source Estrodot ? anybody had this effect swapping from patches to gel ? Thanks

Hurdity

Re: Patches to gel
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2020, 08:58:12 AM »

Hi Karenc - last time I tried I could not get Estradot from local dispensary (or rather they cnouldn't get them - through Alliance healthcare). Besins insist there is not a manufacturing problem but obviously demand is exceeding supply and supplies are therefore sporadic. I agree Estraderm are huge but I've recently been given Elleste patches and these are much better as they stick well so I will ask for these next time if no Estradot - and if no shortage!

I also tried going from patches to gel for a couple of months - briefly - but it was Sandrena which comes in sachets and my flushes returned on the dose I was using (1 mg). As I have been using patches for so long I just went back to them rather than tinker with the gel dose as - like you - I know they work!

Hurdity x

karenc1900

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2020, 02:23:14 PM »

Hi Hurdity, thank you for your reply.

I have a GP appointment Monday so it's good to know what I may be able to source in patches. I am feeling better already so I think I need to stick with them...literally !

I googled Elleste patches but only found 40 or 80..do you know if they do a 50 patch ?

Sammiejane

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2020, 11:36:14 AM »

elleste patch mx40 is same roughly as the 50 patch x

i used these initially but they didn't suit me i had bad chest pain heavy arms blurred vision x

karenc1900

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2020, 05:47:41 PM »

Thank you Sammiejane, that doesn't sound great  :-\ what patches are you currently using ?

Hurdity

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2020, 12:50:23 PM »

Hi Hurdity, thank you for your reply.

I have a GP appointment Monday so it's good to know what I may be able to source in patches. I am feeling better already so I think I need to stick with them...literally !

I googled Elleste patches but only found 40 or 80..do you know if they do a 50 patch ?

No they don't - nor a 75 mcg. I was given an 80 mcg because I am prescribed 75 mcg which I cut down to approx 62.5 so now I'm just guessing! I find they stick really well.

Hurdity x

Sammiejane

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2020, 01:23:58 PM »

karenc1900

i'm not using anything at the moment i took a break because i was experiencing hair shedding since starting hrt and changed to the gel and think it made it worse either the fluctuations or as it was unopposed due to hysterectomy i'm not sure x i have been off it 5 weeks and last 2 days no shedding but then VA is worse although my mood better but sleep worse surprisingly more energy too but with vagina i can feel things looser down there not as tight i'm going to go back on it but on combined regime to see if it helps. x
i'm can't take tablets and as patches all out of stock i only have option of gel but unsure if to try sandrena gel instead of estrogel x