Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Skin Salvation!  (Read 1136 times)

NettyJay

Skin Salvation!
« on: January 28, 2019, 02:05:41 PM »

I'm braving the menopause without HRT. Mostly because I don't get severe hot flushes. I do get a host of other symptoms (aching joints, itchy skin, over-emotional etc etc). Anyway - I've always had extremely dry skin. Imagine a snowstorm when dressing/undressing. That's me. Or should I say, that WAS me. After having very itchy skin (particularly nipples and moles) doc said it was lack of oestrogen, quite common etc. Have I tried taking collagen? And using Double-Base cream. Ever the sceptic, I bought some. (During my lifetime I've tried hundreds of products). After only two weeks a miracle occurred. Holy Macaroni!! The itching lessened, but better still, my skin is so soft my husband thought it hilarious that I was stroking my thighs, just for the sheer joy of feeling their smoothness. Finally, something good has happened because of the menopause. Would also like to thank you guys for all your posts - they get me through my weird and wonderful symptoms. 'It's not just me then...' 

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Skin Salvation!
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2019, 02:28:35 PM »

:thankyou:  and well done  :medal: on finding a GP with a little knowledge.

As oestrogen levels drop off the body may become dry: inside and out; skin, scalp, deep in the ears, eyes, vagina  :o look out for that 1 [several threads here], it can take a while for find a suitable cream to ease the itchy skin.  Also muscles may become lax = aches and pains.  These can be relieved by over-the-counter medication. I find Nurofen helps any symptoms.

I had itchy insteps every night for many years as I took off socks and climbed into the bath as well as itchiness across may back below the neck.  DH would scratch gently to help.  I would also have a 'glow' of dampness across that area from neck to the waist which lasted a few years.  I was in peri by then.

Joaniepat

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2019, 02:29:55 PM »

Hi NettyJay, another Doublebase fan here, it's a great product. I'd be interested to hear if you are also taking the collagen and what you think of it.
Best wishes,
JP x

NettyJay

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2019, 03:20:34 PM »

Hi Joaniepat - I'm pretty sure the collagen has made all the difference. The cream is good but even after its worn off my skin feels very different. I treated myself to Collagen Caviar Complex - pricey. I'm sure other brands are just as good and more economical. (I hope so!) I hope it starts having some effect on my hair - it was always thin but plentiful - now it's thin and dropping out - though you can't tell yet. Hope it works for you. x

Joaniepat

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2019, 03:44:23 PM »

Thanks, very interesting! Glad to hear you are getting good results.
JP x

Pumpkin55

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2020, 02:26:47 PM »

Hi NettyJay do you know if its the double base or collagen that has worked? My itchiness is driving me absolutely bonkers!!! Many thanks :-)

jaypo

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2020, 03:47:14 PM »

Hi nettyjay thanks for the info,I'm giving the collagen a go too,hoping it helps with my nails