Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Talking of Mood Swings  (Read 1224 times)

Kathleen

Talking of Mood Swings
« on: December 19, 2019, 07:50:19 PM »

Hello Ladies.

I've been thinking about my mood swings which seem to occur at four hourly intervals through the day. I am not currently on HRT and seem to have a pattern of feeling okay, sort of normal, then feeling much better, not elated but more optimistic and then a sudden feeling of dread/mild panic, a bit of underarm sweating followed by the feeling of needing to cry. My emotions then appear to settle down again for a while but the cycle then begins again.

Can anyone else relate to this?  Has anyone also noticed a four hourly cycle or am I imagining it?

I would love to read your comments ladies and look for to hearing from you.

Wishing you all well.

K.

Sparrow

Re: Talking of Mood Swings
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2019, 08:54:06 AM »

I don't know about the four hour bit, but I did find anxiety surges would come out of nowhere for no reason.

I found a technique that helped me.  Instead of fighting the feelings I would let it flow through me and at the same time slow my breathing and physically try and relax.  Sounds odd I know,  but usually people tense up at go into fight mode which makes it much worse.  By doing this technique the surges would last a few minutes only and were much more manageable.

It may not work for you but it's worth a try.

Kathleen

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2019, 11:10:08 AM »

Hello Shadyglade

Thank you for your response. I am not very good at  relaxing through these episodes but I will certainly give it a try.  I may even try to remember the yoga breaths I learned back in the day!

Thanks again and wishing you well.

K.

Sammiejane

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2019, 05:28:29 PM »

hi kathleen

i'm not sure which hrt you are taking but i noticed this in the estrogel and found the more i took the worse it got ! i didn't have progesterone though estrogen only

Kathleen

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2019, 07:19:15 PM »

Hello Shadyglade and Sammiejane.

I'm so sorry that I overlooked your responses.

Since starting this thread I have been diagnosed with Hypothyroidism  and I wonder if that is causing or at least contributing to my mood swings. I'm taking Levothyroxine at the moment and I'll be having a follow up blood test at the end of January to see if my thyroxine levels have increased.  I will of course update the forum as my experience may help other ladies.  Wouldn't it be something if it turns  out that I've been blaming the wrong hormones for my mood swings. Actually that doesn't bear thinking about!!

Thanks again ladies and take care.

K.

Lanzalover

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2019, 07:02:07 AM »

Good morning Kathleen

Hypothyroidism can most definitely lower mood if not treated or under treated.
I didn't have mood swings but was definitely depressed until I finally got the correct replacement dose but it is a long slow process finding the correct level you.
Part of the trouble is no ones knows what their levels were before things went wrong so it's all trail and error trying to correct it.

Good luck and do keep us posted on your progress.

Lanzalover x

Kathleen

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2019, 01:29:08 PM »

Hello Lanzalover and thanks for your response.

I actually had my Thyroid tested about 18 months ago and it was only just in the normal range. My GP was reassured and even said all my blood work, including this test showed I didn't have a problem. I remember telling him that I still felt crap though!

Now that I've had it tested again and I'm being treated I hope things will improve. Fingers crossed.

Thanks again and wishing you well.

K.

Dru

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2020, 08:36:29 PM »

I have found that taking Magnesium Glycinate has greatly improved my mood swings. Be careful which magnesium you take, some have side effects.  Magnesium Glycinate is supposed to be the most gentle on the stomach.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 08:38:01 PM by Dru »