Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: 1 hairy forearm?!?  (Read 1092 times)

CHEERYSHEEP

• First Flush
1 hairy forearm?!?
« on: January 05, 2020, 06:49:51 PM »

I apply a small blob of testosterone to my right upper arm or leg every day - my levels are now ‘normal' BUT I've noticed that my right forearm (nowhere else) has gone hairy. So the question is.. why ??!!? (as in only 1 forearm and not the skin I apply the testosterone to)
Has this happened to anyone else?

Erika28

Re: 1 hairy forearm?!?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2020, 07:50:24 PM »

This is one of the reasons why I stopped using the gel and switched to injections. I live in Canada and my doctor approves it for me. Injections of testosterone aren't approved by regulators but doctor can still prescribe, at their own discretion.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2020, 08:01:30 PM »

Welcome Cheerysheep - to the wonderful mystique of menopause  ;)

Browse round.  Join in!

sheila99

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2020, 09:07:53 PM »

My thigh where I applied it became hairy so I've changed to put it on the sole of my foot under the instep. It seems to work just as well there. Haven't had the same problem as you though.

jaycee

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2020, 09:40:30 PM »

Try it on your head Stella, you never know, it might work, [only joking of course]  ;D

jaycee

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2020, 10:22:46 PM »

Very strange isn't it how things work out,i wish we could find a solution, ???

Hurdity

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2020, 08:41:57 AM »

I apply a small blob of testosterone to my right upper arm or leg every day - my levels are now ‘normal' BUT I've noticed that my right forearm (nowhere else) has gone hairy. So the question is.. why ??!!? (as in only 1 forearm and not the skin I apply the testosterone to)
Has this happened to anyone else?

I was warned by the pharmacy that I might get hair growth at the application site for testosterone gel which did indeed happen and moreover I too get some extra hair growth pretty much all over the sides of my thigh. I have reported on this before - I read a paper which showed that T is transported transversely through the skin as well as into the bloodstream so this accounts for it. As such this is more localised effect (in addition to the systemic absorption) hence it doesn't occur universally over the whole body. I would never apply to anywhere on arms because of this (my arms are most definitely not hairy at all!) but since legs are regularly shaved it's not a big problem to extend upwards to thighs! I apply to inside of knee at bottom of thigh on alternate sides.

sheila99 I did try the sole of the foot once but decided I didn't want to hop about until it was dry and also not so easy to apply quickly while standing!

This is one of the reasons why I stopped using the gel and switched to injections. I live in Canada and my doctor approves it for me. Injections of testosterone aren't approved by regulators but doctor can still prescribe, at their own discretion.

Erika - we've been through this before. Great for you but there is no such preparation available privately or off-licence used or recommended for women. I've posted before about the BMS recommendations for women. As far as I know they are only used in men where gel does not work and it is a synthetic version. Your posts raise false hope for women looking to an alternative - I doubt there is any (private) doctor in UK nor many in Canada, US or Oz that would be prepared to undertake such a treatment.

Anyone reading this and who hasn't come across the recommendations - here is the BMS info - Tools for Clinicians and the fact sheet from Women's Health Concern:

https://thebms.org.uk/publications/tools-for-clinicians/testosterone-replacement-in-menopause/
https://www.womens-health-concern.org/help-and-advice/factsheets/testosterone-for-women/

Hurdity x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2020, 08:45:49 AM »

Erika passed a comment.  All are valid on this Forum.  She is in Canada which may have different regulations or a medic who knows a lot more about HRT than others may.  Quality of Life Girls, QofL!