Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Starting a New Pack...  (Read 899 times)

Mogster71

Starting a New Pack...
« on: December 29, 2019, 08:53:19 PM »

Hello Lovely ladies
I hope you all had a great Christmas?

Santa was a poppet and brought me the end of a Femiston 1/10 pack, sore boobies Christmas Day, start of a new pack and a period Boxing Day and the mother of all headaches today. Not great timing but hey ho! This is pack 3 of Femiston 1/10, which is the longest I have managed to stick with any HRT after a couple of false starts (Norethisterone begone!!)

I just wondered is the headache thing common when you start the next pack of any HRT? Is it a sign of poor absorption/intolerance, etc.? My main symptoms for wanting HRT were headaches and nausea in the first place....pretty much every day. But normally they don't last as long as this humdinger. NB I'm quite happy to continue as it works ok for everything else!! If you've got any tried and tested ideas for headache relief I would be really grateful.

I have got magnesium in the cupboard but never really taken it
Today I've had 2 x paracetamol at 8am, 2 more at 12 noon, then 2 x ibuprofen at 4.30 which I think is what saw the pain off.

Thanks in advance xx

Taz2

Re: Starting a New Pack...
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2019, 10:29:34 PM »

A headache was always part of having a period for me so when it also happened during the bleed part of the HRT regime it  just seemed to be a continuation of what happened during my natural cycle. The fact that ibuprofen shifted it would seem to point to it being maybe a muscular/tension problem?

Glad you are generally feeling better though!

Taz x

Mogster71

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2019, 05:49:54 AM »

Hi Taz

Thank you so much for replying and for your kind wishes; headaches are awful, I've never had so many as I have had in the last 18 months!! Blimmin' hormones huh.

A Day of self-care today I think. x

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2020, 11:49:26 AM »

Somewhat belatedly - like Taz said I also had headaches at the appropriate time. With HRT if you're getting it at the start of the new pack it is likely to be pms headache caused by progesterone withdrawal which probably most women get at some point. The progesterone part causes various physiological changes and then these are reversed when you stop taking it - causing the headaches. Once the progesterone has left the system and you're back on oestrogen only hopefully all will be well again? Leading up to peri-menopause I started getting 3 day migraines - but didn't realise this is what they were - and like you had to take continuous pain-killers even during the night as the headache would wake me in the night. I have sumatriptan now which i take when I can feel one coming on but if I leave it too late - it doesn't prevent it although can relieve it for a while. Hope yours has gone now!

Hurdity x

Sgtvhilts

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2020, 06:58:30 PM »

HI
GLad you are feeling better- Northeisterone really is a treat isn't it!
Yep, i get headaches after i stop the prog bit, nothing major , just a vague pain in the neck area!
Paracetamol is all i do and it is fixed. If Ibuprofen works for you then use that.
But of course there are headaches and HEADACHES
For me it is always about the old cost v benefit argument in this case what is worse Headaches or meno symptoms
I always feel much better on the the combo part, mood is even better on the combo.  My mood takes a defo dip when on just the Oestrogen. Hurdity - above- seems to saying the same, dip in prog the cause- i didn't know it was a common thing, so happy to read that.
As i know what seems to be causing it and my meno symptoms were far worse than the odd headache and low mood then i have stuck with it.
PS- I have had low mood on and off for 30 odd years, but this is nowhere near as bad so i just 'tolerate' it.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2020, 07:01:39 PM by Sgtvhilts »