Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Hrt/ anti depressants sleeplessness  (Read 810 times)

Janeek

Hrt/ anti depressants sleeplessness
« on: December 30, 2019, 03:43:21 PM »

Hi I'm new on here and would very much appreciate advice.

I'm 51, I've had a period December 2018 and July 2019. Periods have been erratic and I've had odd flushes and night sweats over the last 5 years but I thought I'd got through relatively unscathed. However since July this year I've had hot flushes, endless night sweats, some joint ache and low mood. I went to the dr in October and looked on here and basically my only option seemed to be the more a coil and a patch. My dr gave me tridestra to tide me over until I could make an appointment to have the coil fitted( it's difficult where I live) but that gave me awful migraines so I stopped.

I've since read a lot and am not sure about hrt. I've asked for a saliva test but my dr hadn't heard of it and said he wouldn't do it. He admits he knows nothing. All they offer is the coil and patch. I have found a private clinic I'm now considering.

My main problem is the lack of sleep. I'm exhausted and only getting 5 hours sleep because I wake up burning hot and then lie awake for hours. I've been taking night nurse to get some sleep which gives me 9 hours but that's not great.

I'm taking isoflavones, star oil and vitamins. I feel everything is tolerable apart from the sleep!! If only I could sleep I could work out if my mood is because of that or meno or actual depression! I don't feel depressed other than I am panicky and ruminating - I got out of an awful relationship in June.

I've been to my dr today and he's given me anti depressants because now I am crying a lot I'm so tired and fed up.

I just don't know which way to turn so I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas.
Thank you 🙏🏻💕

sheila99

Re: Hrt/ anti depressants sleeplessness
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2019, 03:51:30 PM »

My main symptoms were anxiety and insomnia so I think you're right that your problems are due to low oestrogen. I would have a look at the Treatments tab so you're aware of what hrt options are available then go back to your doctor. The coil is not the only option for progesterone! It might be worth asking the pharmacist what they can get hold of so you don't ask for something in short supply. I haven't had a problem getting oestrogel and utrogeston. Night nurse etc are not a good long term option as I'm sure you know.

Sgtvhilts

Re: Hrt/ anti depressants sleeplessness
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2020, 04:43:38 PM »

Aw, poor you.  I know just how you feel.
Rewind 18 months and wow, for me the insomnia was awful, fitful dosing, mixed up with racing anxious thoughts with a good drenching of night sweats. Low mood was appaling.  I have been on SSRI's on and off for the last 30 yrs, but they just weren't cutting it.  I wouldn;t worry about swigging antihistamines like night nurse, they do no harm- i've been at them on and off for 20 odd years!, but getting to the root of the problem is better long term.
But this sounds like it is all down to meno.
No brainer for me - HRT straight away.
Didn;t bother with the coil as me and progesterone have never been the best of friends.
Now settled on my own invented regime of 100mcgs of Estraidol patches and femeston sequi 2mgs orally ( it is the only progesterone where i won't get sectioned LOL).
HRT changed my life in a matter of weeks. DOn't get me wrong i still have sleepless night, but they are occasional, not always and the anxiety is better than it has been for many years.
Don't think you are going bonkers or physically melting- It is meno all the way,
I don't bother with any suppliment, never found them useful- it is the hardcore nuclear stuff for me.......LOL
« Last Edit: January 01, 2020, 05:00:07 PM by Sgtvhilts »