Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Antivirus on a laptop - free or a paid version?  (Read 1653 times)

Katejo

Antivirus on a laptop - free or a paid version?
« on: December 29, 2019, 05:34:56 PM »

I am fed up with AVG (paid version) and have refused to renew because they constantly pester me to pay more for added features. I have told them that, if a feature is soooo important, it should be included in the paid package.
I have to choose a new one soon because i am about to lose the paid AVG.

Do you use a paid subscription (eg. Norton) or one of the free options? I am about to choose  a new laptop because mine has worn out and is slow (Windows 7 and about 9 years old) but want to test a different antivirus first.  Thanks

katsclaws

Re: Antivirus on a laptop - free or a paid version?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2019, 05:37:23 PM »

Sophos is good and  it's free although there is a premium version which is around £20 per year. I've tried a few different ones and found Sophos to be the best.

Foxylady

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2019, 06:03:48 PM »

Hi Katejo, myself and OH have tried different ones over the years. Since visiting a local computer shop and them repairing laptop (few yrs ago) they recommended Bullguard. Since then myself, OH and FIL all use it never had any issues. OH recently bought new bullguard & they had a good deal on own website for 3 years & could be used on 3 computers!!! x

sheila99

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2019, 06:17:19 PM »

I use AVG. This seemed the best at the time (2years ago) but may not be any more. Try googling best free antivirus software.

katsclaws

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2019, 06:18:05 PM »

I bought Bulldog and then found it wasn't compatible with my Accounting Software which was a bit annoying. Avira was good too.

Katejo

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2019, 06:34:48 PM »

I use AVG. This seemed the best at the time (2years ago) but may not be any more. Try googling best free antivirus software.
Yes I gave tried googling free ones but I am not sure whether I do need a paid one or not. Are you on the paid AVG or the free one? I will still have the free AVG when my membership ends  as far as I can see (unless I uninstall it).

Katejo

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2019, 06:36:23 PM »

I use Avast which is paid for - they too have a rather annoying system of tryng to sell you 'add ons'. Why in heavens name don't these companies just offer a free version then two or three max paid options? That said, I've always been happy with Avast and haven't experienced any of the problems I'd been experiencing previously whilst using BT's own Netprotect.
I have considered the free Avast after seeing others using it.

Dancing Queen

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2019, 07:38:29 PM »

I have been using free Avast for years and fingers crossed have never had any problems

Katejo

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2019, 07:43:41 PM »

I have been using free Avast for years and fingers crossed have never had any problems
Thanks ! Might try that. Will look at the latest top 10 free ones tomorrow.

sheila99

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2019, 09:15:09 PM »

I'm using the free version of AVG. No problems with it yet but perhaps I've just been lucky. Windows 10 is supposed to have have more inbuilt security than 7.

Katejo

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2019, 11:48:36 PM »

I'm using the free version of AVG. No problems with it yet but perhaps I've just been lucky. Windows 10 is supposed to have have more inbuilt security than 7.
My old laptop still has Windows  7 but I am about to replace it.