Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Stopping HRT, Fibromyalgia and Amitriptyline  (Read 1254 times)

Julia Dizzy

Stopping HRT, Fibromyalgia and Amitriptyline
« on: November 04, 2023, 03:24:36 PM »

Hello, Looking for some input from you lovely ladies! Sorry if a bit of a ramble...

I am 67 and have been on conti HRT for 4 years, 2 pumps gel and 100mg Utrogestan orally nightly. I have over the last couple of months been having so much joint and muscle pain all over my body, and get very easily fatigued. My ribs have a burning ache all round and wearing a bra is uncomfy, my neck and shoulders hurt to the touch, my elbows hurt when I lean on them, my hips and lower back ache all the time, plus my knees are sore. I also have peripheral neuropathy in my hands, legs and feet, a kind legacy from chemo for bowel cancer 2 years ago now. (next check up with my surgeon at end of this month).

I saw a Dr at my practice a month ago (I didn't know him..) who felt my shoulder (which cracked of course) but that was all. I suggested Fibro or arthritis? So he arranged for blood tests. I had to wait 3 weeks for a telephone call to discuss results. He said my bloods that he did were all fine, but didn't test Vit D as he said they don't do it now and just to take a supplement in winter :bang:.
He said it sounded like Fibro.. so good how they can do that over the phone... and suggested that I try 10mg Amitriptyline to help with the pain.

I already wake up every morning feeling like a zombie, so am unsure whether to take them or not, as have read about the side effects.

I am also on a trial stopping my HRT from last week to see how I go, after another Gp a while ago suggested it, as that has never helped my joint pain and I seem to have gone worse! Never hit that magic spot with it where I feel great in all the time I've been on it. The testosterone did help libido initially.

Am I doing the right thing in stopping HRT and should I give the AD a try, maybe start with 5mg by cutting it in half?

Thank you if you can offer any advice/suggestions. x

Jules

Re: Stopping HRT, Fibromyalgia and Amitriptyline
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2023, 04:07:51 PM »

Amitriptyline was suggested for me when I was diagnosed with CFS but i didn't take it then some years later it was prescribed for facial nerve pain. It made me too drowsy so I stopped.  Everyone reacts differently to drugs though

Penguin

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2023, 04:35:28 PM »

You could use medichecks and get your D3 tested yourself? Its an inexpemsive test, plus the GP would have likely told you it's fine even if you are at the bottom of the range.

In terms of the AD, I would wait a little while and see how stopping hrt impacts you first. It is always tricky if you change more than one thing at a time to see what's what.

Mary G

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2023, 08:14:08 PM »

Julia, 10mg amitriptyline is a very low dose and unlikely to cause side effects.  5mg is unlikely to be effective. 

I liked amitriptyline and used it for migraine prevention.  It is very effective but I've recently switched to its sister noretriptyline because I can take half the dose and get the same relief.

Re stopping HRT, do you think that the daily oral Utrogestan might be having a drag effect and making the oestrogen less effective?  It might be worth trying a different form of progesterone or perhaps trying Utrogestan vaginally every other day before giving up on HRT altogether.

Scampidoodle

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2023, 02:08:47 PM »

Have you been totally fine until a few months ago?

Julia Dizzy

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2023, 01:09:44 PM »

Thanks ladies for great advice. Mary G, I shall stay on HRT and try vaginal utro, see how that goes. Think will be better on it than off it!

Scampidoodle, no I wasn't fine, had all over joint pain but it has gone worse. Also never felt well in general since my op for bowel cancer. The ache around my ribs and under armpits is quite new though, get a spasm in my left boob when I burp! Hurts to wear a bra. Strange how it was around the same time as my flu, covid and pneumonia vaccines, but probably just coincidence. Had a mammogram a year ago and all was fine.

I can only try the amitriptyline and see how it goes. Penguin, I shall get a home test for vit D, thanks, I am already on 2000iu a day along with magnesium glycinate.

Limpy

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2023, 01:20:20 PM »

Julia Dizzy - I had been given Amitriptyline for nerve pain and didn't get on with it at all, brain dead feeling most of following day. However, a friend of mine has been taking it for pain and has found if she takes it early evening (5ish) rather than just before bed, it is much easier to tolerate.

Julia Dizzy

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2023, 01:16:25 PM »

Thanks Limpy, I took one last night at 9pm as I don't usually go to bed til 1am and get up around 10am...weird I know, but that's our routine lol.

I can say I feel very dopey this morning, but I do most days anyway! Will see how it goes, I have a meds review with surgery pharmacist next Monday so can always speak to her about it.

I tried a utrogestan vaginally last night, it's very messy...how on earth does it work if it all leaks out???

Penguin

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2023, 01:21:17 PM »

Thanks Limpy, I took one last night at 9pm as I don't usually go to bed til 1am and get up around 10am...weird I know, but that's our routine lol.

I can say I feel very dopey this morning, but I do most days anyway! Will see how it goes, I have a meds review with surgery pharmacist next Monday so can always speak to her about it.

I tried a utrogestan vaginally last night, it's very messy...how on earth does it work if it all leaks out???

It is just the casing that leaks out. Did you lie down and insert it as high up as you can - depending on time of the month I tuck it in up near cervix and do it right before sleep so i don't have to get up again?

Also re your D supplement, do you have one with K2 in as that is its co-factor needed for absorption? If not, make sure you are getting K from foods.

Julia Dizzy

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2023, 12:25:58 PM »

Thanks Penguin, yes I did that, my nightie was stuck to me where it had come out! I have gone back to oral.

I seem to be ok so far on amitriptyline, no weird side effects touch wood! Not helped pain yet but early days. All around my ribs are so sore with a burning ache, even to the touch down under my armpits. I read about intercostal neuralgia and thought  hmmm, could it be that? I know we shouldn't google.....

No I don't have K2 in with vit D, I will check that out, thanks.

Penguin

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2023, 12:53:00 PM »

Thanks Penguin, yes I did that, my nightie was stuck to me where it had come out! I have gone back to oral.

I seem to be ok so far on amitriptyline, no weird side effects touch wood! Not helped pain yet but early days. All around my ribs are so sore with a burning ache, even to the touch down under my armpits. I read about intercostal neuralgia and thought  hmmm, could it be that? I know we shouldn't google.....

No I don't have K2 in with vit D, I will check that out, thanks.

Have you looked at costochondritis? Not sure if that is correct spelling, but it is rib inflammation and would likely be all over as you describe.

Julia Dizzy

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2023, 01:14:18 PM »

Thanks Penguin, I spoke to the Gp about that over the phone, he said it could be both that and fibro. Strange how it came after jabs... ??? Strange sharp twinges and burning ache...

I have now got some Vit D and K2 drops, thanks for the advice. x

Penguin

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2023, 01:46:46 PM »

Thanks Penguin, I spoke to the Gp about that over the phone, he said it could be both that and fibro. Strange how it came after jabs... ??? Strange sharp twinges and burning ache...

I have now got some Vit D and K2 drops, thanks for the advice. x

Well yes, a lot happened for me too after jabs, physicsl stuff I'd never had before!