Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Does progesterone/Utrogestan withdrawal feel like drug withdrawal for some?  (Read 2072 times)

Redlocks

I feel insane and that the anxiety and panic won't ever stop. I don't know what's wrong with me, so frightened of everything and don't know why.
X

Hurdity

Hi Redlocks

Sorry to hear about your side effects/symptoms. Yes progesterone withdrawal HAS been likened to drug withdrawal and is a well-known phenomenon - can be like an extreme form of PMT.  If you've been taking it orally then this could be worse too. Progesterone causes changes in the body and cells and these changes are reversed when you stop taking it. Also oral progesterone breaks down into a multitude of metabolic by-products which have different effects so this will also have to be reversed. Did I read you are taking benzos too? There is a cross reaction with benzos and progesterone  breakdown products in relation to GABA receptors - (really very hazy on this!) so this could exacerbate any effects....really not sure about the details though!

However good news is that once the prog leaves thre system in a few days and the changes have reversed - you should hopefully feel OK again.....soon be New year!! Hang in there :)

Hurdity x

Redlocks

Thanks Hurdity :)
Maybe it's not all In my head. I keep feeling guilty for not being able to manage it despite all the therapy I've had. I don't want to be an addict but lorazepam is the only thing that's given me any relief, otherwise I'm not functioning at all at the moment :(
I restarted the utrogestan last night after the one-week break but took just one tablet, not two.
X

vintagefiend

yes! i'm afraid i can't deal with it either! not while i'm on it and not while withdrawing- i'm currently lobbying my gynae for a hysterectomy so that i never have to take the stuff again!! (have to return for second opinion but i can't take no for an answer!) that might sound like a drastic solution for some, but- for me i don't know what else to do. oestradiol is marvellous for me but prog knocks me back for a good while. sorry if that's all a bit gloomy- you're not mad, though- remember that and maybe you'll find one that works. i hate it andi don't use it neary enough which is of course not a good thing.

Redlocks

Thanks vintagefiend - it's awful, isn't it? I seemed to tolerate 100mg utrogestan for 21 days out of 28 days, but when I doubled that to 2oomg on those days it appears to have completely messed with my mental health and I've been anxious and depressed.
I've had similar, terrible symptoms when starting or increasing the dose of SSRIs in the past, but this somehow feels even worse, which I didn't think was possible!!
When are you getting a second opinion? I've heard of these injections where they can temporarily stop all your hormones from working, so you can see how you feel like that before deciding on a hysterectomy. We're all different and it's pretty much impossible to know how we will react to treatments.
X

vintagefiend

Hi Redlocks
apologies, not been on for a while-
yes i had the injections- zoladex- privately- they made me very, very depressed unfortunately- as they turn off oestrogen as well which i very muc need- it may be different for you- the private gynae was happy to refer me for a ful hysterectomy- god knows why considering how depressed i was on the zoladex!! but i didnt take him upo it at the time. i've since realised that it's a partial - ie womb only hysterectomy that i want- not least ecause i'm now fuly menopausal so it's easier to control oestradiol- do't have an ever-shiftig baseline like you do in peri meno- also, of course, i'm only producing low to zero progesterone which is fine by me!
good luck anyway x