Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Very sudden weight gain caused by hormones in perimenopause?  (Read 4088 times)

yellowflower

Re: Very sudden weight gain caused by hormones in perimenopause?
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2019, 07:55:14 AM »

Have been perimenopausal for a few years now. Weight is generally pretty steady as am ex anorexic so eat the same amount pretty much every day and  track every bite I eat. Two years ago,.I got massively bloated in stomach, sore boobs etc (my partner said I looked 7months pregnant). Gained a kg in space of a week and even when bloating etc passed after 5 or so wweks,, weight never reduced. Same happened a few months ago and gained yet another kg in space of a week along with a month of alot of hormonal activity ( spotting, sore breasts, bloating etc). Anyone else experience this? I was eating the same amount all along and exercising the same so makes no logical sense.
I'm even more active than I was years ago and do heavy weightlifting so have more muscle than a typical 20 year old so it's no related to loss of muscle mass or resultant slowing of metabolism.

Has the pregnant looking stomach subsided. Looking 7 months pregnant warrants some investigation.

Bungo

« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2019, 08:51:41 AM »

It went down when spotting, sore breasts etc stopped.  It generally comes and goes , I never know day to day if it.will be distended or not but every now and again it can last for weeks, be there first thing in morning etc. I said to my GP the last time I was there but she dismissed it.

Bungo

« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2019, 07:24:03 AM »

Sounds like a gut issue to be honest!
If your GP doesn't pay attention, make him. Ask to be referred to someone who knows what to look for. X
Isn't bloat a side effect of menopause? My GP is going through menopause herself and because I don't have hot flushes( which she has) ,she dismisses any other symptoms.

Mogster71

« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2019, 04:11:58 PM »

I think intolerances are fairly common as we age too - I developed an intolerance to most dairy foods in my late 30s after being absolutely fine with them all my life. It would definitely be worth investigating. Gluten intolerance is pretty common too, and it is in so many foods, not just the obvious like bread.

Hope you can get some answers, it's a shame that your GP isn't a bit more wide-viewed, not everyone gets hot flushes and if you're not getting them it doesn't mean you aren't in peri or menopause. Personally I don't have flushes at the moment either but I have got plenty more going on!!

Bungo

« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2019, 06:11:40 PM »

I think intolerances are fairly common as we age too - I developed an intolerance to most dairy foods in my late 30s after being absolutely fine with them all my life. It would definitely be worth investigating. Gluten intolerance is pretty common too, and it is in so many foods, not just the obvious like bread.

Hope you can get some answers, it's a shame that your GP isn't a bit more wide-viewed, not everyone gets hot flushes and if you're not getting them it doesn't mean you aren't in peri or menopause. Personally I don't have flushes at the moment either but I have got plenty more going on!!
How would I get investigated? My GP brushed me off , what  kind of consultant should I ask to be referred to? To be honest, with my history of anorexia and poor eating habits for 30 years, I'm not surprised that I'm having issues when I'm eating normal amounts of food now.
Pages: 1 [2]