Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Off to Docs soon. Is it an ultrasound I need to check endometrium thickness?  (Read 1879 times)

Turkish delight

Quick question girls,

Is it an ultrasound I should ask for to check my endo? I've been on hrt for 10 months and only one bleed.

I was on a very low dose 1 pump every other day for a few of those but been on 2 pumps O gel for 3 months plus 100mg x 14 utro vaginally.

Doc brill but clueless on this subject.

Any help before 5pm would be golden.

TD

Turkish delight

Anyone!

Any insight on the subject, please? :)

bear

Hi Turkish delight,

Transvaginal ultrasound scan. Hope it's not too late!  :)

BeaR.

Turkish delight

Thanks BeaR

No not too late!
Your a star.

:thankyou:
X

Katejo

Thanks BeaR

No not too late!
Your a star.

:thankyou:
X
I am having one of these in early Jan as a precaution due to slight bleeding while using Evorel Conti. Why do patients need a very full bladder for this?

Mogster71

Had TD and TV ultrasounds in late November; the full bladder is for the transdermal one. I had to drink as much as possible an hour to half an hour before. They did the transdermal one first, then I had a pee and then they did the trans vaginal one. If you've not had one before it's a doddle, I found it far less uncomfortable than a smear - although you do feel a bit odd when they move the probe about. Kind of like a dull period ache.

Hope it went well TD x

Hurdity

Quick question girls,

Is it an ultrasound I should ask for to check my endo? I've been on hrt for 10 months and only one bleed.

I was on a very low dose 1 pump every other day for a few of those but been on 2 pumps O gel for 3 months plus 100mg x 14 utro vaginally.

Doc brill but clueless on this subject.

Any help before 5pm would be golden.

TD

Hi there - somewhat belatedly as i wasn't going to come on here until well after the big Cmas! However quick clarification. If you are asking for the scan yourself ie privately then it's not a transvaginal scan that is usually done - it's a normal ultra-sound like when you're pregnant ie external abdominal one with the full bladder  which pushes the womb forward. Those of us who have had these checks done have these. This is what many of the private U/S or walk-in clinics offer - as far as I know not the TVS.

if you are referred by the doctor due to bleeding etc then they will probably ask for both - and it woul dhappen as Mogster outlined - I've had several of these too just as she described - first the full then the empty baldder for tVS.

Hope this helps :)

Hurdity x

bear

Hi Katejo,

As mentioned above, the full bladder is for transabdominal pelvic ultrasound scan (TAS), but it's not just to push the womb forward… The ultrasound waves travel at different speeds through different tissues and gas will prevent them from reaching anything behind it. The full bladder will push the intestines (usually full of gas) out of the way AND will provide a clear fluid ‘window' for the ultrasound waves to reach the womb, because sound waves travel very well through fluid (same reason they use the gel on your skin).

I hope both of you get the transvaginal scan (TVS) as well, so you will probably have TAS with a full bladder and right after that a TVS with an empty bladder, as Mogster71 has explained. Many studies show that TAS is less accurate and should not be used for endometrial assessment, not to mention that postmenopausal shrinking ovaries and polyps cannot be assessed through TAS.

BeaR.

Turkish delight

Thanks gals!

I asked and he said I don't really need it bcz it's more for ppl who bleed in between periods or bleed when not supposed to.
Not for not bleeding...meh!

So I said fine, and then he said no I'll send you anyway. He mentioned something about a probe going up inside, so don't know which one that is?

TD

bear

Thanks gals!

I asked and he said I don't really need it bcz it's more for ppl who bleed in between periods or bleed when not supposed to.
Not for not bleeding...meh!

So I said fine, and then he said no I'll send you anyway. He mentioned something about a probe going up inside, so don't know which one that is?

TD

Hi again, TD

Yay, that's the transvaginal scan. Good luck!  :-*

BeaR.

Katejo

Hi Katejo,

As mentioned above, the full bladder is for transabdominal pelvic ultrasound scan (TAS), but it's not just to push the womb forward… The ultrasound waves travel at different speeds through different tissues and gas will prevent them from reaching anything behind it. The full bladder will push the intestines (usually full of gas) out of the way AND will provide a clear fluid ‘window' for the ultrasound waves to reach the womb, because sound waves travel very well through fluid (same reason they use the gel on your skin).

I hope both of you get the transvaginal scan (TVS) as well, so you will probably have TAS with a full bladder and right after that a TVS with an empty bladder, as Mogster71 has explained. Many studies show that TAS is less accurate and should not be used for endometrial assessment, not to mention that postmenopausal shrinking ovaries and polyps cannot be assessed through TAS.

BeaR.
I had the TAS one today. The letter sent to me said i was going to either have one or the other but not both. I asked about the result but she said that it was difficult to judge when someone is on HRT. I sensed that she disapproved of HRT a bit but perhaps I was being oversensitive?  She then asked me why I had been sent for the scan. I explained that it is just due to the bleeding after starting Evorel conti patches. I knew that some bleeding was normal but had asked the consultant what counted as 'normal'. The consultant referred me as a precaution. My bleeding only lasts about 1.5 days at a time (except the first time when it was like a full period). I am just not sure how long this should carry on. I have been on full patches for 6 months but didn't get a bleed until after 3 months.

bear

Hi Katejo,

What were the results? Have you stopped bleeding?

BeaR.

Hurdity

I had the TAS one today. The letter sent to me said i was going to either have one or the other but not both. I asked about the result but she said that it was difficult to judge when someone is on HRT. I sensed that she disapproved of HRT a bit but perhaps I was being oversensitive?  She then asked me why I had been sent for the scan. I explained that it is just due to the bleeding after starting Evorel conti patches. I knew that some bleeding was normal but had asked the consultant what counted as 'normal'. The consultant referred me as a precaution. My bleeding only lasts about 1.5 days at a time (except the first time when it was like a full period). I am just not sure how long this should carry on. I have been on full patches for 6 months but didn't get a bleed until after 3 months.

Strictly speaking you would have been borderline for needing a scan but as you say the consultant sent you as a precuation. I've noticed some new pages on this website - not sure when they were written but they talk about sdie effects and when to be referred - nice summaries of the issues here:
https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/refer.php
https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/sideeffects.php

The sonographer should tell you your scan measurement if you ask for it but last time I had one she was a bit snotty when I asked and reluctantly looked back at the data to tell me what it was. She will be writing to your consultant with the information anyway - with mine I can look it up online so was able to read everything she put without going back to the doc.

Hurdity x

Katejo

Hi Katejo,

What were the results? Have you stopped bleeding?

BeaR.
   My bleeding hasn't been continual, just short episodes a month or so apart (like a short period lasting 1-4 days). I haven't had any for about 3 weeks. The consultant wants me to have a hysteroscopy and has booked it but i am far from convinced that it is needed so soon. The ultrasound only showed a 5mm endometrial layer and i have heard from others that 4.5 to 5mm is normal when using Evorel Conti. Today I have written a letter to the consultant and to my GP asking for clarification. I would much rather carry on with the patches for another 3 months to see if the bleeding returns. I feel that the risks of the procedure may outweigh the benefits.
Any thoughts on this? I have never ever had any heavy bleeding so I don't suspect fibroids.

Katejo

Hurdity   Please read my reply below. I was writing it at the same time as you. It was  5mm.

Strictly speaking you would have been borderline for needing a scan but as you say the consultant sent you as a precuation. I've noticed some new pages on this website - not sure when they were written but they talk about sdie effects and when to be referred - nice summaries of the issues here:
https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/refer.php
https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/sideeffects.php

The sonographer should tell you your scan measurement if you ask for it but last time I had one she was a bit snotty when I asked and reluctantly looked back at the data to tell me what it was. She will be writing to your consultant with the information anyway - with mine I can look it up online so was able to read everything she put without going back to the doc.

Hurdity x
« Last Edit: January 28, 2020, 07:17:45 PM by Katejo »
Pages: [1] 2