Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Homeless at Christmas  (Read 4314 times)

sheila99

Re: Homeless at Christmas
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2019, 05:31:27 PM »

What a very unprofessional letting agent. Whatever his political views he should keep them out of his business. LAs can set up in business without any qualifications and knowing nothing of the law but it is the landlord not the letting agent who will be taken to court if something isn't right. This would ring alarm bells for me. He may be perfectly competent but it might be wise to make sure.
 Given your support for shelter and the homeless perhaps you should make it available to genuinely homeless people? Now that really would be an act of charity.

Rubbish, he is a very good letting agent. You have totally missed the point.   :o

Our flat is housing two teachers.  What would be the point of kicking them out to house someone else. Nonsense.
I thought you'd react like that  ;D You keep banging on about how we should support shelter and the homeless. Now we know you have a spare house but you choose to take money from people who could easily rent an alternative property. So I'm suggesting you put your money where your mouth is and really support the homeless. The point is that people currently living on the streets could have a home. Why is that 'nonsense'?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2019, 05:36:40 PM »

Renting to others doesn't work as easily.  See Teresa's response as well as reading how bad renters affected two members of our family.  Why turn out good lodgers in order to take in someone that a) might not pay rent regularly; b) may leave the place a tip or worse; c) may cause upset among the local community with noise, drug dealers, large barking dogs .........

Some people on the streets can't cope with the routine of cleaning, paying rent, having to conform - impossible 4 them.  They prefer to keep a low profile so that they don't have to interact with others.  Others have never been brought up to keep a place clean etc..  Some are unable to feed themselves, it is easier to drop by a food kitchen.

When severely depressed I couldn't dress; feed myself; do laundry; talk to anyone: and I have a supportive GP and a loving husband.  Without both I would be on the streets .......... I certainly could not have asked for assistance from others.  So put this to many across the UK who simply don't have the energy to ask for help  :-\

Sparrow

« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2019, 05:39:41 PM »

Again you miss the point.  Supporting charities and being a charity are two different things.  I give monthly to St. Mungos, and have done for about 30 years. 

Why such bitterness, I don't understand.  You make everything personal for no reason.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2019, 05:41:56 PM by Shadyglade »

CLKD

« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2019, 05:42:39 PM »

Perhaps what Charities should be doing is pursuing absent landlords ............ someone did a programme about this a few years ago, it is disgusting that properties stand empty - if landlords can't be found after 18 months the Council should take over and refurb them ..........

sheila99

« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2019, 06:08:26 PM »

Again you miss the point.  Supporting charities and being a charity are two different things.  I give monthly to St. Mungos, and have done for about 30 years. 

Why such bitterness, I don't understand.  You make everything personal for no reason.
I dislike hypocracy.

Sparrow

« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2019, 06:17:44 PM »

You are going to have to argue with yourself Sheila.  I'm in too good a mood after a very nice day to be bothered.

Happy New Year. 🎊🎉

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2019, 06:31:13 PM »

I think I'm really lucky to have great tenants.  It also helps that the house is just a 2 minute walk from our house so if they have any problems (which they seldom do) we deal with it the same day.

They are a retired couple and they love housework so the house is spotless.  It was immaculate when they took it on with all new carpets except kitchen and conservatory which are laminate.  We put them in all brand new white goods. They have cavity wall insulation, full double glazing and deep loft insulation so it's a cozy house. 

I do a property inspection every 6 months and it takes about 5 mins as it is immaculate.  The husband is now finding the stairs difficult and he hasn't been too well and they told me they have approached the local council for a sheltered bungalow.  I have been so lucky to have them so will be sad if they move out.

Kathleen

« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2019, 06:43:27 PM »

Hello ladies.

No one person can fix the many problems in society which is why we elect governments to do this for us.

Our taxes should be funding services like an effective police force, a properly resourced NHS and so on. Also included should be services to help people who have serious problems and provide them with the help they need to get back on their feet.  Without safety nets everyone suffers, the individuals themselves and society in general. 

Let's hope we'll see some actual improvements in how our country is run over the next five years.  It is certainly about time.

Take care ladies.

K.

CLKD

« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2019, 07:48:36 PM »

New Houses are being bought.  However, 1,000s stand empty across the UK waiting to be sold.  Mum's included.  We use it when we go to visit Mum but it's difficult to keep the garden tidy. Spring will show it in a better light. 

CLKD

« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2019, 08:12:06 AM »

It was scary living with my parents who screamed at each other once we were in bed  :-\.  When I asked for help I was told "that can't be happening, your parents are X" .......... not a good atmosphere to be raised in!  So carry that on into teen/adult-hood without being education that there are other ways to communicate: add drugs/drink into the mix  :'(

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2019, 09:15:04 AM »

I think I've mentioned before, the flat next door to me..literally two steps away..was let through Purfleet Trust and as ckld says I believe, often people aren't equipped for all manner of reasons to just get on with what we would call a "normal life.I almost had a breakdown living next door to the buzzer ringing constantly at 2 am,mine included, with people begging to be let in, screaming and yelling all night, the front door being kicked in by  people who were owed money and drug dealers constantly coming and going.I became scared to go home and was often approached for money. I can imagine if that's the only life you've lived, the "norm " of having to get up for work at 6 and not sleeping all day and roaming around all night wouldn't cross your mind.I was scared he would fall asleep with a cigarette or whatever and the building would go up.I really don't know the answer but it's terrifying to live with.

That must have been terrible for you but it's not just people in social housing who cause problems.  There is a large private house near us where the local GP lived. When he lived there it had beautiful gardens, cream carpets and a grand piano in a huge sunlit room.  It was just so beautiful.  About 15 years ago the GP moved and a woman bought it for her adult hippy type daughter.  You have never seen such a mess now.  the garden is a wilderness, the windows are filthy, the parking area  is full of old washing machines, broken bikes and bags of rubbish.  She has two fierce dogs who are often out barking at people who walk past.  She drives old minibuses and as she replaces them she just abandons the previous one in the garden. 

My husband said the filthiest house he ever went in was a big, old private farmhouse where an elderly couple and their adult son lived.  He said it was worse than any house featured on the Hoarders programme.  Rotten plates of food, flies everywhere, cats mess etc etc. 

CLKD

« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2019, 11:16:23 AM »

PF - contact the local environment office who will put a clearance order on the property.  If non compliance they can evict the owners even if it's privately owned due to health dangers. 

I went into a GP's house many years ago - had accepted cups of tea and biscuits for months until I went into the kitchen  :o they had cats.  Lots of.  Everywhere  :-X

A homeless person from our village went missing on in November and was found last week in a stream 15 miles away .......... not a good C>mas for his family  :'(.  He drifted from family to a bench ............. always cheerful though. 

Sparrow

« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2019, 12:21:17 PM »

We have had a lot of trouble with our immediate neighbours (particularly in the summer), with screaming, shouting and swearing, plus parties in the garden until the early hours.  They are ex police officers ::)

Anti social behaviour is classless.

CLKD

« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2019, 12:34:22 PM »

:-X  they think they are above the Law ?
Pages: 1 [2]