Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12

Author Topic: The Link Between Thyroid Disease and Menopause  (Read 20084 times)

Kathleen

Re: The Link Between Thyroid Disease and Menopause
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2019, 03:55:49 PM »

Hello Penelope

Thank you so much for posting this article.

My GP suspects that I have low Thyroid function and I'll be getting my blood test results later today.

Thanks again and take care.

K.

Penelope

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2019, 05:59:40 PM »

You are very welcome K just remember if your blood tests come back in the normal rang it Does Not mean your thyroid is working normally.Good luck hope it explains a lot of your symptoms.😀

Penelope

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2019, 06:02:52 PM »

New Zealanders are sick of doctors using TSH blood Test for thyroid they are not accurate.Read the full front page about TSH blood tests.

https://our.actionstation.org.nz/petitions/help-nz-thyroid-patients-get-treatment-that-works-1

Kathleen

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2019, 07:50:17 PM »

Hello Penelope

Thanks for your recent message, it is well timed because I've just learned that I do have an underactive Thyroid!

I see from your post that your health care system test for TSH and this is also the case here in the UK. I have had this tested on previous occasions and it has always been in the normal range. This time however my results stated that TSH (use for TFT) were above range at 37.62 mU/L, the normal range being 0.35-5.5.  I was also  tested for antibodies which has never happened before and the results for Thyroid Peroxidase (TPO) antibody were above range at 480iu/ml. The normal reference range is 0.0 - 60.0. I have been given Levothyroxine 75mg to take and told to have another blood test in 4 to 6 weeks.

I've done a little bit of reading and I understand that a low Thyroid function can be the result of a virus and I've had two recently, one of which was Glandular Fever. I also understand that this condition can occur after pregnancy so perhaps a drop in oestrogen can  precipitate it which not only fits with the menopause but in the last four months I have come off HRT. If all that weren't enough I was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis another autoimmune disease at the same time my periods stopped nine years ago.

I see that many women in NZ are campaigning for better diagnosis and treatment for Thyroid disorders and I'm sure that the situation is no better here in the UK.

Thanks again for your interest and information and if I find out anything of use I'll let you know.

Take care.

K.

Penelope

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2019, 08:29:26 PM »

Hi Kathleen thanks for taking the time to read my post and the link.
You sound like you need to do a lot of reading and googling Colitis is very much cause by thyroid issues and many thyroid patients have had it.
I was un diagnosed for 25 years and have been to hell and back since I had my last child I did not have postpartum depression I had postpartum thyroiditis.
If you have antibodies then you're thyroid is attacking your good cells you need a scan on your neck done also.Its already taken to long once it does start to show up in blood tests you have had it for many many years.
Hashimoto's thyroiditis is what I have and the treatment is Pill form of HRT I have been on now for three weeks and I am feeling 90% better.
I have been sent to mental health since I had my last baby and it's got to stop 🛑 Antidepressants for 25 years that never worked.Three weeks of Hormone replacement and I feel really good.
Merry Christmas and please talk anytime!😀🌷🌹

Wrensong

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2019, 08:41:10 PM »

Hi Penelope, I've seen a few of your thyroid-related posts but not had time to reply.  Just wanted to say welcome.   :)  As you may already know there are several of us on here with longstanding thyroid probs so you will not be short of companionship!   I'm sorry you seem to have had a long, rough time of it & I hope you'll continue to feel much better.

Wrensong

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2019, 08:41:39 PM »

Hi Kathleen, so sorry to hear of your diagnosis.  Always a shock & time of uncertainty when we learn of a new condition, but just wanted to say most people do very well on Thyroxine, so you should start to feel much better in many ways once your optimal dose has been established.  I remember your admirable approach to being diagnosed with UC & how well you've managed the condition, so I have no doubt you'll learn all you can about the thyroid, get yourself back to very good health and become an expert patient.

I was told many years ago by a well-loved & prominent Endocrinologist that the onset of my Hashimoto's & consequent hypothyroidism (diagnosed more than 25 years ago) were likely caused by my having adult onset Chicken Pox, that being one of two viruses he said commonly led to thyroid failure - the other being glandular fever, which perhaps adds weight to your intuition.

If it helps to chat to someone who's been around the medical block a good few times with this, please PM me any time.
Wx
« Last Edit: December 23, 2019, 08:43:49 PM by Wrensong »

Kathleen

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2019, 08:56:30 PM »

Hello Penelope.

I'm  sorry to learn that you have been struggling for so long and my heart goes out to you.

I take it that your Thyroiditis began postpartum and you were wrongly diagnosed with depression?

I realise that there is a link between some autoimmune diseases which is why I have asked for my Thyroid to be tested in the past however blood tests always came back in range.  I keep a record of my tests and this is the first time  antibodies have been measured so perhaps that is significant.

Can I ask you is your Thyroiditis being treated separately or is your pill form of HRT  enough to help you?

Sorry for the questions but this is a whole new thing for me and I'm finding it a bit overwhelming.

Thank you so much for your concern, it's much appreciated. Btw I take

it you are in NZ and I hope I'm not troubling you at an inconvenient time of day.

Wishing you well.

K

Kathleen

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2019, 09:03:58 PM »

Hello Wrensong

Thank you so much for your very thoughtful post.

I will try and learn as much as I can about hypothyroidism but I may well pick your brains in the future if you don't mind so thank you for your kind offer.

Wishing you well.

K.

Penelope

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2019, 11:34:06 PM »

Hi Stellajane go back to the doctor. if the hair loss is still an issue your thyroid is not working  and you will be having other symptoms for sure!xx🌷Antibodies blood test will show up before TSH.Push until, you get a satisfactorily result for yourself.

Penelope

« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2019, 05:42:37 AM »

Hi Kathleen not a problem.Yes I was told my onset of anxiety and panic attack and a raft of other symptoms were post natal depression.
From then on they sent me straight to mental health almost like I was wearing a label on me Anxiety end off.
Some people are treated with Synthroid and another pill form but these stop working after some time.
So now I am in the 50 plus range and my thyroid condition showing thyroid antibodies tells the medical world that I can now be told I have Hashimoto's.You Can't have Hashimoto's without thyroid antibodies showing up in a blood test.but you can have normal thyroid TSH readings.
So you were very astute to ask for the antibodies test well done you.
Every women should be asking for that test.
Just keep pushing you now know you thyroid is attack itself and you will have a raft of symptoms that mimic a lot of the menopause symptoms but are twice the dose.
Just keep asking all women need to know how the medical world is not helping them.

Women around the world blaming themselves for having multiple miscarries and can't get pregnant and having babies with deformities and are never ever told it could be down to there thyroid.
Not to mention slept disc in there backs and necks all down to thyroid.Oh boy I could go on.
You are doing great so far just keep advocating for yourself!xxxxooooo🎄🎄

Wrensong

« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2019, 10:32:49 AM »

Bless you Kathleen, it can be overwhelming when we're first diagnosed with something new.   :bighug:  For me it's the initial uncertainty of how it might affect my life, but whatever the issue (menopause aside  ::)), it almost always turns out to be less awful than I imagine & we learn over time how best to manage it as individuals.  You've done that so well with the UC, please don't doubt your ability to do it again with the thyroid condition.  And yes, will be more than happy to help any time if I can.
Wx

Kathleen

« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2019, 10:53:39 AM »

Hello ladies.

This is a very interesting discussion, all the more so as we appear to have different experiences and opinions.

As I said earlier I intend to learn as much as I can on the subject.

I think I mentioned on another thread that a book about balancing hormones is to be published in February.  The title is Your Body in Balance and is written my Neal Barnard an American MD. I believe it focuses on food as medicine but I'm sure it will quote research data. There is also Brooke Goldner MD who has published a book about successfully treating her Lupus with diet and she has another title focusing on other autoimmune conditions. I plan to read as many of these as I can and keep the forum updated.

Stellajane - I agree that having one autoimmune condition means you are more likely to develop others which is why I often pushed for Thyroid testing. I had hoped that my diet to control UC would prevent me getting another inflammatory condition but if a common virus can cause Thyroiditis then I didn't stand much chance of success.

Wrensong - Thanks for your comments. Like many of us here I do all I can to help myself and pass on any lessons learned.

Thanks again for all your comments ladies and I wish you all well.

K.

Wrensong

« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2019, 12:10:24 PM »

Kathleen, being predisposed to autoimmune tendencies, as you know, our bodies are primed to overreact to perceived threats such as infection.  There is almost certainly nothing you could have done to prevent this.  I've lost count of the number of times medics have stated ominously that having one autoimmune condition made me very likely to develop another & I'm currently under investigation for that again.  It's no-one's fault, but autoimmune hypothyroidism can be reasonably well managed in most cases.  I know of 2 ex-colleagues on Thyroxine long term like me, who simply need no more intervention than an annual blood test & look perplexed when I ask how they are - they have each told me they feel completely well on their stable dose of Thyroxine.  Mine has been more complicated, being in the minority of patients who need T3 as well, but that's only said to be 15% of us, so no reason to think yours will be difficult to manage.
Wx
« Last Edit: December 24, 2019, 01:13:10 PM by Wrensong »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12