Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Any empaths on here?  (Read 5215 times)

Focus

Any empaths on here?
« on: December 19, 2019, 08:27:09 AM »

Just wondering...

Sparrow

Re: Any empaths on here?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2019, 08:54:22 AM »

Gosh that's a tough one to answer.  I'd like to think I am, but that feels like patting myself on the back.

I do think it's quite a female trate anyway, and with all such things some are more adept than others.

What about you Focus?

Focus

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2019, 09:56:29 AM »

Definitely.

It can be a good thing, for sure. But there's also a very dark side to empaths. So not so much about patting yourself on the back, but very much an admission of weakness. Check out Vital Mind Psychology on YouTube.

Sparrow

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2019, 10:05:28 AM »

I will take a look.

Also I feel it is based on being able to put yourself in others situation.  That way you automatically connect with them and how they feel.  I'm sure it's some primeval sense that we need to keep hold of and nurture.

Sparrow

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2019, 10:25:06 AM »

Wow, just watched one of the videos and it certainly explains why I get upset and overwhelmed by things that others take in their stride.   I do fight back though but that can, and does, increase the stress.

Thanks for the link, I will be watching the other videos.

Kathleen

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2019, 10:48:22 AM »

Hello Ladies

I read that early humans had to accommodate both competition and cooperation in their society and the need to maintain relationships and allegiances prompted the extra brain development that we have today. An interesting subject Focus and I'll certainly check out the videos you mention.

Take care ladies.

K.

Sparrow

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2019, 11:11:48 AM »

As for the dark side, how to recognise and protect yourself from Narcissists. 

Up until now I don't think I have been very good at that.  However, my experience recently with a certain person has given my more insight.  It is difficult to spot when someone appears genuinely in need, just needy or a narcissist.

I am hoping the other videos will cover this.

I wonder also if there is any overlap between narcissists and psychopaths.  I suspect this does happen.  I know a bit about psychopaths from my degree course, as we did a module on it.  It was in connection to criminal behaviour though so not quite the same. 

You have really sparked me off with this.  I will have to do some research.

jillydoll

• Hiya
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2019, 11:58:37 AM »

I'm definitely a empath!
I've just read a little about it, and it's me. I didn't know anything about it. I'm interested now, so I will educate myself more, as soon as I can fit it in.
Sometimes, I think it's a curse!
Thanx, I will watch the videos too....x

Sparrow

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2019, 12:13:08 PM »

I'm definitely a empath!
I've just read a little about it, and it's me. I didn't know anything about it. I'm interested now, so I will educate myself more, as soon as I can fit it in.
Sometimes, I think it's a curse!
Thanx, I will watch the videos too....x

What book did you read jillydoll?  I wouldn't mind buying it.

jillydoll

• Hiya
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2019, 02:07:00 PM »

It's Judith Orloff, .....The Empath's Survival Guide. Seems pretty much clear and understandable. Good reviews too.....
Got it off Amazon.
Only just started it though, but when I have time, I intend to get stuck right in...

Focus

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2019, 03:52:55 PM »

Yeah, I'm gonna be reading Judith Orloff's book as well.

Tbh, I'm reasonably good at spotting narcissists now. But the videos also gave me a lot of insight into my own psychological makeup and how I can learn to protect myself when I get stressed out by crappy people and negative energy.

I've been trying some of the suggestions out recently with an ongoing work situation and I think it's been really working for me. I previously would have just soaked up all the negative energy, gotten really upset about it, then really stressed about it, which would have resulted in a whole series of physical stress (insomnia, pounding heart/panic attack type reactions, IBS, TMJ) and then illness because my immune system was down.

Instead, I've been blocking the negative energy by not letting the person get physically close to me and not looking her in the eye. Making sure I don't go into the stress type response, and telling myself that I'm going to protect myself and keep myself safe (if you've watched the video about the four states of the empath that last bit will make more sense).

I've always been able to walk into a room and know exactly where everyone is at emotionally. More recently, in the past few years, I've been able to tell with physical stuff that's going on with people too- even total strangers. Last summer there was an ambulance at the end of the road, and even without seeing who was inside or knowing what was happening (it was facing the wrong way for me to be able to see in), I knew it was a woman that had had a heart attack and they were using the defibrillator on her. I could feel actually the physical sensations in my chest...it was really weird. I was totally exhausted afterwards, that night, utterly drained. I've had loads of instances like that over the past few years.

I'm now at the point where I want to protect myself a bit, not feel constantly overloaded, and have a bit more control as to what I let through.

Kathleen

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2019, 08:33:28 PM »

Hello again ladies

Unfortunately I haven't had a chance to look at the video but reading your comments made me wonder something. I've never understood how the comment 'never mind, there is always someone worse off than you' is supposed to be a comfort? How can thinking about other people's suffering be of any help or consolation?  Surely it's just more to make you miserable. I'm guessing that all empaths feel the same way what do you think ladies?

Wishing you all well.

K.

jillydoll

• Hiya
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2019, 09:59:03 PM »

Haha, yes Kathleen. Your right.
It shifts from you feeling a bit miserable,/ or whatever,  to making you think about all sorts of problems with other people, and totally making you feel utter useless because you can't help any of them! 

jaycee

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2019, 01:32:57 PM »

I think i must be after my last relationship, with a narcissist, until then i didn't even know what an empath was
I know some people don't believe narcissists exist, but it's more than just being selfish and self centred,
I have not recovered yet

I also think my first husband was one too, just the same personality, no empathy,no boundaries arrogant,entitled and a lot more,but good actors, good liars

jillydoll

• Hiya
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2019, 01:44:58 PM »

Apparently Jaycee, empaths attract narcissists....total opposites...🤷‍♀️
Pages: [1] 2 3