Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Estrogel - mood swings - will they settle down  (Read 1570 times)

Nairn

Estrogel - mood swings - will they settle down
« on: December 19, 2019, 01:44:59 PM »

Hi

Just moved onto the Estrogel and utro regime, but experiencing terrible mood swings and so sad (tears all the time) - whilst the hot flushes and night sweats are under control I'm an emotional wreck and its just not an option to carry on like this, especially at work - I'm totally miserable - just cant seem to lift myself out of it.  I'm 6 weeks in to a 3 month trial - is this normal?  Will it settle down? I'm on 2 pumps and 100mg daily.  Thanks for any help

Anaise

Re: Estrogel - mood swings - will they settle down
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2019, 05:49:32 PM »

Mood swings didn't stop for me and I gave it a fair old go befire comiing off it.

Nairn

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2019, 05:53:45 PM »

Hi Anaise

Thanks - what did you move to instead?

x

Anaise

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2019, 06:06:47 PM »

Hi Anaise

Thanks - what did you move to instead?

x

Nothing, I'm not taking anything at the moment. x

Ladybt28

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2019, 06:37:38 PM »

Nairncat - I was started on 2 pumps but that didn't control my symptoms so the GP upped it to 4 pumps.
I already knew I couldn't take the utrogestan (my body doesn't like progesterone much and I found that out when I was on daily provera!) daily because of mood problems so I have never taken it daily although I am post meno at 57.  I choose to take it on the 12 day cycle - 200mg from day 15 for 12 days and I take it vaginally instead of orally so it bypasses my liver and stops any side effects by going through the stomach.  It does mean I bleed but that is a small price to pay.   When I got it right it took 7 months for all my symptoms to subside.  It is easier to say what symptoms I didn't have (no VA).  My anxiety and panic attacks stopped and the mood swings and depression (I was on AD's for more than 20 years so that was how bad they were) got to a manageable level and are only there from day 8 of the Utro but I can handle it easier because I know they will pass.

Sometimes this stuff takes a long time to settle Nairncat.  I had had 6 types of other hrt before this and none of them had worked. It takes as long as it takes and we are all very different. xx

Kathleen

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2019, 07:19:38 PM »

Hello Ladies

I saw my GP the other day about a non meno problem but I happened to mention my mood swings. He said that HRT seemed very good at controlling vaso motor symptoms but didn't seem to help mood swings.

This has certainly been my experience because my flushes etc were never as intense as others have described but my mood swings continue to bother me.  I am nine years post meno and after six years of trying different HRTs I decided to take a break nearly five months ago.  Latterly I used two pumps of Oestrogel and Utrogestan vaginally and even increased to three pumps but my consultant said I shouldn't go any higher than that so I don't know if four pumps would have done the trick.

Nairncat - I am sorry that I can't be of more help  but I hope you find a regime that works for you.
Other ladies have reported that an increase in gel has helped them so hopefully that is an option for you.  You  certainly have my sympathy and sending hugs.

Wishing everyone well.

K.