Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: Food banks  (Read 13623 times)

Sparrow

Re: Food banks
« Reply #75 on: December 17, 2019, 08:51:44 PM »

Many families who live in poverty have to rely on public transport and have no supermarkets nearby.  Large sink estates are lucky if they have any shops let alone supermarkets with fresh veg.

It's easy for those of us who are comfortably off with smart cars and without the stress of hardship to criticise others.  Labelling those in need as undeserving and feckless on mass is a shame.  Obviously some do make bad choices but I don't think the majority do.

I did a largish Xmas food shop at Aldi yesterday, and delivered it to our local food bank today.  I plan to do something similar on a regular basis now and I won't begrudge a penny spent.

Happy Christmas to you all.  :xmas:
« Last Edit: December 17, 2019, 08:54:07 PM by Shadyglade »

sheila99

« Reply #76 on: December 17, 2019, 09:09:03 PM »

I pay enough in tax to pay their benefits which they could use to buy food if they hadn't already spent it on fags, booze and a mobile phone. Yes, everyone can have an unexpected expense but there's no reason the majority can't live on the money they get. I wonder why so many people are desperate enough to risk their lives to get here when life's so awful here? 

Sparrow

« Reply #77 on: December 17, 2019, 09:10:36 PM »

Happy Christmas Sheila.

sheila99

« Reply #78 on: December 17, 2019, 09:19:00 PM »

Happy Xmas shady. Oh, and I'll be working on Christmas day as will OH, that's how we get money. I doubt the food bank recipients will be.

Sparrow

« Reply #79 on: December 17, 2019, 09:26:54 PM »

Not true.  Many people who make use of food banks are in employment.  Unfortunately zero hours contracts etc., means they still cannot make ends meet.

Peace and goodwill to all men/women/children/British born/refugee/immigrant/Little Green man etc.,
« Last Edit: December 17, 2019, 09:30:57 PM by Shadyglade »

Joaniepat

« Reply #80 on: December 17, 2019, 09:41:07 PM »

There is a saying: "The poor will always be with us" (and I guess income tax will be too). It's easy to criticize others when we don't know their circumstances, and a waste of energy to get wound up about the feckless few.

Peace and love,

JP x

jillydoll

• Hiya
« Reply #81 on: December 17, 2019, 10:01:06 PM »

Exactly right Joaniepat...
Surely we shouldn't judge people who are in need!
We don't know their circumstances so shouldn't pass any kind of judgment at all.
We all don't really know when, we,/our own families will be in need too.
Perhaps if, god forbid, that ever happened, we'd have a different opinion then!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #82 on: December 18, 2019, 08:18:32 AM »

sheila - that could be a separate topic.  Maybe the grass is always greener, plus we aren't being bombed hourly; we have access to fresh water, fresh air, peace ........... we don't hear how many of those who arrive here in a panic get an education B4 returning 'home'. 

There have been several fires across the UK recently where people have lost everything except what they stand up in  :'(

CLKD

« Reply #83 on: December 27, 2019, 06:03:18 PM »

Now that C.mas is over I must remember to top up the food bank donations box  ............ your local web-site should tell the public what is required. Our local needs tinned meats, custard, dog food, toilet rolls and tinned fish.  With good use by dates on.

I also need to buy biscuits, I try to give our Council bin men goodies between now and New Year and again at Easter.  They work well in all weathers   ;). off 2 make a list.

CLKD

« Reply #84 on: December 27, 2019, 06:43:37 PM »

Certainly is.  One lady fled with her new baby from a domestic situation and landed in our area .......... was taken in, given appropriate advice and was fed once every week for 5 - there's enough in the box for 3 days of healthy eating.

Life-line is that is should be seen as. 

Sparrow

« Reply #85 on: December 27, 2019, 07:20:52 PM »

Well put Stellajane.

CLKD

« Reply #86 on: January 08, 2020, 09:26:59 PM »

Apparently our local 'bank' is short of storage space due to a good response B4 C.mas/New Year.  Nothing on the facebook or web-page 2 suggest the shelves are full, but a sign in the collection box 2-day asks for no further deposits for 3 weeks.  I did put a pack of 4 loo rolls in ......... what goes in and all that  ::)

Oh the Santa hats are slowly disappearing .............
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]