Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: HRT,Anxiety gone!  (Read 5045 times)

Penelope

HRT,Anxiety gone!
« on: December 18, 2019, 12:11:14 AM »

Can anyone tell me that has taken HRT did your anxiety go?How long did it take?Has it ever come back?
Thanks in advance.💖

Ladybt28

Re: HRT,Anxiety gone!
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2019, 12:16:57 AM »

Hi Penelope - yes the crazies have gone, and believe me I was certifiable.  I had it so bad that at one point I was literally leaving the house in the middle of the night and running away and daytime was one long panic attack from when I opened my eyes to falling asleep (that was if I feel asleep - was getting about 2 or 3 hours a night!) but it took a long time, about 6 months for me before I got into any form of rhythm and they subsided completely.  I do get panicky when I am under stress but it only lasts for the stressful event and is no where near the scale of a panic attack.  I am 57 and been on gel and utrogestan for 15 months and testosterone for 10 months.  On a scale of 1- 10 I was at a 12 now it never gets more than a 3. xx

Penelope

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2019, 12:20:53 AM »

OMG Ladybt28 Thank you thank you so much for you're post.I would be ecstatic for this HRT to do that for me.What a wonderful outcome for you.You must love life again?💖

sheila99

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2019, 09:38:29 AM »

It took 3 months for me. Still on HRT and it hasn't returned.

Ladybt28

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2019, 01:04:54 PM »

I wouldn't go so far as to say "love life again", I don't think any of us ever go back to how we were or to that really but I do know that things are better and better than they have been for a long while.  I just wrote in another post, the word "better" is really relative to how bad you have been and for how long!  I have had underlying depression all my life and I still get episodes, especially now in winter, but now I know they will pass, they are more manageable in my head.

What hrt can do for any of us varies so very much and the type of hrt you are taking makes a difference.  What works for one will not work for another and it can take a long time to get to the right one for you especially when you bear in mind that you should try each one for a minimum of 3 months and sometimes longer if you are getting relief of some symptoms and not others but it appears to be getting better you just need to press on to ensure you don't give up to quickly.  Its a very hard thing to balance but hopefully as we go through the journey we learn stuff and learn to read our own bodies better.  There is so much information and support on this forum, you just need to trust your own instincts about what is happening with you however daft it might sound on paper.  It's easier to put it down here on the forum because no one judges, one or other of us have been there.  Some health professionals just don't get it and slap us down when we tell them what we think.  That never happens here, so keep posting and let us know how you are getting on.

Herbies Mummy

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2019, 05:29:56 PM »

That is a really helpful and sensible reply that will give lots of comfort - thank you xxx

Kathleen

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2019, 06:00:42 PM »

Hello ladies

I've often wondered if some of our horrible symptoms have a shelf life and burn themselves out over time or have to be extinguished by HRT. 

I ask this because my daily headache phase lasted six months but never recurred so when I began to experience the jittery, anxious sensations I assumed they would resolve after six months as well. Unfortunately when they continued  I began to worry that they would never go so I asked for help and was prescribed HRT.  I think if someone could have reassured me that this phase was almost over I would have stuck it out for a bit longer. It's a bit like the date of your last period in that you can only know it in retrospect.

I think if women could be confident that everything was self limiting we might be able to arrange our lives to accommodate the changes, just as we do when we are pregnant for example.

HRT is of course the appropriate treatment but the mantra 'this too shall pass' can help as well.

Wishing you all well.

K.

Penelope

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2019, 07:12:20 PM »

It took 3 months for me. Still on HRT and it hasn't returned.
Wonderful thanks for replying.We all need good news stories and positive feedback.

Penelope

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2020, 07:05:57 PM »

oh Shelia I hang off every word you wrote.Can you say how long it took for your anxiety to lift?

Ljp

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2020, 09:22:32 PM »

Ladybt28 are you taking your utrogestan an orally or vaginally?

Anxiety was my worst menopause issue, along with panic attacks and paranoia

I've been on mirena coil and oestrogel for 4 years and my anxiety has been so much better!

Since December, when I went to have coil changed, gynae suggested I try utrogestan before I have coil changed to see how I tolerate it, I'm on a conti regime.
Just finished first pack of 30 orally, and anxiety is back, along with brain fog, low mood, and  mood swings.....I tried vaginally for the last two nights and feel less foggy, but VA externally sore today.

Seeing gynae on Tuesday, I think I'll ask for another coil, I'm 55 and hope that by the time I need it changing again, there may be other options available

Ladybt28

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2020, 11:18:27 PM »

I use it vaginally Ljp.  I know there are issues with taking it orally as it goes through the stomach and is processed by the liver.  I have no issues using vaginally except for the first couple of months when I started it caused cramps but they passed.  I don't have any vaginal atrophy or issues down there.  I do know there are some ladies where Utro can cause soreness or they find it  difficult to use with any vaginal atrophy topical oestrogen.  It's your choice depending of your circumstances.

Ljp

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2020, 09:45:49 AM »

I use it vaginally Ljp.  I know there are issues with taking it orally as it goes through the stomach and is processed by the liver.  I have no issues using vaginally except for the first couple of months when I started it caused cramps but they passed.  I don't have any vaginal atrophy or issues down there.  I do know there are some ladies where Utro can cause soreness or they find it  difficult to use with any vaginal atrophy topical oestrogen.  It's your choice depending of your circumstances.

Thank you I've used it vaginally for the past 4 nights and feeling much better in my head, and VA seems no worse than usual....just wait to see if gynae is in agreement tomorrow 🤷‍♀️
Do you use it every day?

Ladybt28

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2020, 12:31:55 PM »

No Ljp, I'm not on a continuous regime.  I am 58 and by normal conventions the prescription should be continuous to balance the oestrogen and have no bleed but I found out a few years ago that I cannot take utro or any progestone continuously so I run a cycle of 12 days and have a bleed of 4 days.  If I take it continuously it really really messes with my head so I don't do it!  The cycle works fine for me taken vaginally although I still have "periods" so to speak due to the progesterone withdrawal after the course of 12 days but it is a small price to pay for having my head work properly!!

Penelope

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2020, 07:31:56 PM »

I had my first panic attack and anxiety start 26 years ago the week after my last child was born.

I have had a living hell with it.I was dished out antidepressants for 26 years that did nothing I would take a clonazepam once a week to have a fabulous normal day.

60 days on HRT has now taken care of it.

I'm happy but also bloody angry that My life has been hell because of hormones that the doctors new about.
However never ever did they order the blood tests.Looking deeper into my symptoms would have showed them I had a thyroid condition.Bingo 'that's why I was so ill thyroid is responsible for hormones in balance.

Heart palpitations
Anxiety
Panic attacks
Psychotic episodes

And now reading on here a lot of women get this at menopause.

If you have had this before menopause started please take yourself to the doctor and ask for
TSH and Free T3 and free T4 and a thyroid antibodies tests.Plus vitamin D levels.

Along with many many other symptoms.You too could have been suffering as many years as I have.

I used to beat myself up because I did all the CBT courses and the good eating gave up smoking stoped coffee  exercise and it never went away.ect ect......
OF COURSE it didn't it's not me it's switched on and off by my hormones!
Totally out of my control.

Thank God for HRT!!!!! 🌹

sheila99

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2020, 08:26:00 PM »

:) :) :) I'm so glad it's helped you. Awful that you weren't diagnosed for so long though.
Pages: [1] 2 3