Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Newbie  (Read 1306 times)

Sarah52

« on: December 16, 2019, 02:42:04 PM »

Hi All

Found this site after looking up HRT after being at the doctors today to discuss HRT!!.  Still a bit sceptical as to whether to go with HRT due to the family history of Breast Cancer, so thought I would join this forum to see what other women's views are and also to discuss my concerns and see if it helps in my decision making, which at the moment is awful along with my memory!! :(

jaypo

Re: Newbie
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2019, 03:20:38 PM »

Hi Sarah,welcome to the forum.
There's lots of differing views on hrt, I guess you have to weigh up the risks with quality of life,I too have a long line of breast cancer in my family so decided to leave the hrt I do get flushes and night sweats but they can be lived with but I think if I was suffering really badly like some of the women on here I would seriously consider hrt,ultimately the choice is yours, I take supplements and b12 and I'm doing not too badly, I do have the brain fog too though  ;)
« Last Edit: December 16, 2019, 04:16:08 PM by jaypo »

Sarah52

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2019, 04:08:20 PM »

Hi Jaypo

Many thanks for your welcome and your reply. After reading some of the stories that some of the women on here are or have experienced whilst going through the menopause, like yourself I can live with my flushes/night sweats at the moment but feel the other symptoms are happening on a more regular basis so struggling to decide on what the best way forward is.  I guess I just want to have my normal self back as not enjoying life at the moment :(  I need to start helping myself so have been looking up supplements I can take to help with the muscle/joint aches, the tiredness, feeling agitated and low self esteem.

jaypo

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2019, 04:25:51 PM »

Yes I know what what you mean, I went through a bad bout of health anxiety which then turned to depression,found myself sobbing to the dr,hadn't a clue what was wrong with me,of course the usual antidepressants were handed to me,which, I did try but after 3 days I couldn't cope with the nausea,well,not on top of everything else but with the kind help of the ladies on here I pulled myself through,one day it just sort of lifted,all by itself,was only this time last year in fact. I take wellwoman for 50 years plus vitamin a b12 and one called cranbiotix it's high dose cranberry and probiotic but of course we are all different,I know a lot of ladies take magnesium to help with low mood etc,have a look around the forum,we've all had one symptom or another,what a bunch  ::)

jillydoll

• Hiya
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2019, 04:31:39 PM »

Hi Sarah52.........  :welcomemm:

Glad you found us. Your get some sound advice here off some very knowledgeable ladies.
Ask what ever you want to ask.   It's a nightmare isn't it this meno malarkey?

I've started taking Menopace multi vitamins and minerals. I've never taken vitamins before, but because my eating isn't the best on the planet, I've decided to go with them. And I can honestly say they work. I feel so much better on them. All I have to do is remember to take them now. 😆 I'm also on hrt and without that I don't know where I'd be, as I suffered most symptoms and had a really awful time. But I've no history of breast cancer in my family, so it was a no brainer for me...
I'm sure other ladies will be on soon to offer advice, but like Jay says, if your symptoms become far too much to handle, you might consider going on HRT.

Good luck anyway, keep posting and let us know how you are...

Jd x

Sarah52

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2019, 04:37:06 PM »

Thanks for your advice about the supplements.  Will be taking a trip to my local Holland & Barrett  ;D

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2019, 05:34:42 PM »

There are few reasons not to take HRT.  Some ladies wouldn't survive without.  Consider Quality of Life?

Browse round.  Think which symptom you would like to ease first.  How are your periods, your age?  All relevant.  Relatives with breast cancer are not really, it depends on which type of cancer they were diagnosed with and if they died from it.

My oncologist muttered as I left his Office 'no HRT for you my Lady' but if push had come to shove I would have insisted.  After all, that bus might creep up and get me from behind. 

Apparently T is ready ..........  ::)

sheila99

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2019, 05:35:36 PM »

If you do decide on HRT transdermal has a lower risk than oral.

Wilks

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2019, 07:12:38 PM »

Hi and welcome!

There are various things to try if you decide not to take HRT. A family history of breast cancer does increase your risk but the size of the risk depends on how close your relatives are. Plus there are lifestyle factors to take into consideration when weighing up the benefits and risks. Some women have such bad menopause symptoms that their quality of life is awful.

Bobidy

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2019, 09:59:36 PM »

Hi

I listened to yet another good 2 part podcast with Liz Earle and Pro Braum about breast cancer which was interesting. I meant to post about it so I'll do it now as a new post. It may or may not change you views on hrt and breast cancer x