Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Ring pessary for prolapse  (Read 1841 times)

Bananacarnival

Ring pessary for prolapse
« on: December 15, 2019, 05:29:28 PM »

Hi

I've got a grade 2 cystocele, rectocele, mild uterine prolapse and anterior wall too. A horrible bulge on my urethra that's caused a whole array of mostly Urinary issues. Recurring utis. Poor stream. Chained to the toilet...

All doctors I've seen are reluctant to operate "it'll make things worse" "it's not that bad" etc
Found a gynaecologist who teaches at UCL. Not sure how good he is but came recommended by another doc.

He's suggested a ring pessary to be fitted in January. I'm pleased but also scared - the diameter is 7cm!!! Ouch.

Will it hurt? I can feel my bladder bulging into my vagina, will this make it worse?

Any positive experiences?

Thank you all

Bananacarnival

Re: Ring pessary for prolapse
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2019, 07:28:00 PM »

Thanks for the replies. Yes I've been using estrogen cream and the pessary for ages...
I'm 48.
I would love to have the opportunity to take it out regularly myself rather than leaving in place...

Bananacarnival

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2019, 10:25:28 PM »

Thanks Birdy, I've no idea! I'm sure I read somewhere that someone took hers out regularly with a bit of ky...

yellowflower

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2019, 10:56:53 PM »

Hi

I've got a grade 2 cystocele, rectocele, mild uterine prolapse and anterior wall too. A horrible bulge on my urethra that's caused a whole array of mostly Urinary issues. Recurring utis. Poor stream. Chained to the toilet...

All doctors I've seen are reluctant to operate "it'll make things worse" "it's not that bad" etc
Found a gynaecologist who teaches at UCL. Not sure how good he is but came recommended by another doc.

He's suggested a ring pessary to be fitted in January. I'm pleased but also scared - the diameter is 7cm!!! Ouch.

Will it hurt? I can feel my bladder bulging into my vagina, will this make it worse?

Any positive experiences?

Thank you all

I had a hysterectomy last year along with repairs to a Grade 2 cystocele, Grade 2 vaginal vault and Grade 1 rectocele. I had a very eminent surgeon do my work and it has literally changed my life. I was told 5 years ago that I had Interstitial Cystitis and IBS. My surgeon doubted that diagnosis and told me I should be off all medication after my surgery and he was right. Everything works properly now. Sex is normal again. They do not use mesh anymore and this was important to me as I definitely did not want mesh used. My life is so much better since my surgery 18 months ago.

Annie0710

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2019, 12:58:28 PM »

I'm grade 2 cystocele and rectocele, hysterectomy 21 years ago due to uterine prolapse too.  I have been offered the ring pessary and will probably have a go after Christmas whilst I wait for my urogynae appt to come through.  I tried these years ago but they kept falling out but the ones I tried were where you inserted and removed yourself x

Bananacarnival

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2019, 06:50:23 PM »

Thanks everyone
Yellowflower your story is very inspiring. Who was your surgeon if you don't mind me asking?