Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Please help me! Felt good until I increased Utrogestan  (Read 4066 times)

Redlocks

Re: Please help me! Felt good until I increased Utrogestan
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2019, 10:12:03 PM »

‘Pulling teeth' is the right image!!
That's awful :( Once you got the right treatment, did you feel better? My main symptoms are anxiety and depression.
My ferritin has generally been borderline, my haemoglobin I think has always been ok and when I had my antibodies tested I think the result was normal. Maybe thyroid isn't my issue, but I didn't realise HRT is a treatment for Hashimoto's — I'm on Estradot and Utrogestan. A lot of my symptoms seem to overlap with menopause, such as night sweats and irregular periods.
Could I send you some of my thyroid test results? I don't really understand them: no doctors have ever flagged anything but another perspective would be helpful!

Penelope

« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2019, 11:06:53 PM »

‘Pulling teeth' is the right image!!
That's awful :( Once you got the right treatment, did you feel better? My main symptoms are anxiety and depression.
My ferritin has generally been borderline, my haemoglobin I think has always been ok and when I had my antibodies tested I think the result was normal. Maybe thyroid isn't my issue, but I didn't realise HRT is a treatment for Hashimoto's — I'm on Estradot and Utrogestan. A lot of my symptoms seem to overlap with menopause, such as night sweats and irregular periods.
Could I send you some of my thyroid test results? I don't really understand them: no doctors have ever flagged anything but another perspective would be helpful!

Yes of course you can I would be happy to look at them.Are we able to private message on here?

Redlocks

« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2019, 11:41:58 AM »

Thank you! Are you free today? I'll fish out any blood test results I've got - I don't mind putting them up here if it happens to help anyone.
Just feel so awful at the moment.
X

Redlocks

« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2019, 12:23:21 PM »

Also, is there an endocrinologist you would recommend? X

Ladybt28

« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2019, 05:21:46 PM »

All I can say Redlocks is my experience and then you can take from it what you may.  I started on gel and utrogestand in September 2018. I have a mega history of hormonal issues going back to a teenager which I didn't know about until I got to this meno lark when all of a sudden lots became clear - no consolation - but at least I have some answers to questions I have been asking for nearly my whole life!  With my hormonal issues I had a mega history of depression and took AD's pretty much the whole time from age 15 until 51 when I ditched them!

My body doesn't do progesterone very well and it made me flat and depressed when I started and has done so to varying degrees since I started 15 months ago.  Anyway having read here and learnt a lot, although I should take utro continuously I only take it on a cycle and I had to start slowly.  I could only manage 200mg for 7/8 days for the first 4 months.  After that it went up to 9/10 days but by the time I got 10/11 months in I could do 200mg for 12 days no problem.  When I say "no problem" I mean no wildly fluctuating mood swings or nasty depressive episodes, just feeling a bit tearful, a bit tired and a bit out of sorts!  I use the 200mg utro vaginally - right from day 1 - there was no way I would swallow the things!

I was also prescribed testosterone in February 2019 and this dealt with the underlying fatigue, brain fog and libido issues which the gel and the utro did not solve on their own but that also took 3/4 months to resolve itself.

In my case now I am 15 months in I can actually say that by and large I fell better than I have in 20 years but it has taken all that time to even out and become consistent.  There are still fluctuations but they are mild compared to what I had before and on other hrt medications.  I am of the opinion that hrt is a very slow burn for some women which is unfortunate because the roller coaster which I had to go through to get to where I am today - it would have been easy to give up and assume it wouldn't happen.  In my case I felt I had no choice - continue with the way things were (no life at all!) or keep going in the hope there would be light at the end of the tunnel.

When I was bad I had insomnia, panic attacks that made me nearly certifiable, a mind like a washing machine, or a complete blank, pains all over my body so much so a consultant diagnosed me with fibromyalgia!  When I wasn't hyped to the max I couldn't get out of bed.  I had acid reflux, felt like I couldn't see properly.  In fact it is easier to say what I didn't have of the meno menu - which was vaginal atrophy.  This had gone on for over 5 years!  So therefore Redlocks - all I would say is that there is success but it can be a long and tortuous experience.  I think sometimes it is even over estimated by experienced and respected consultants just what a mess we can be and how long it will take for some form of hrt to fix it. 
Good luck and much love xx

Redlocks

« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2019, 11:45:18 AM »

Hello Ladybt28,
Thank you for your kind and helpful words! I've been on antidepressants continually since I was 21, first took them when I was 18.
Maybe doubling the dose  of progesterone straightaway was just too much for me. I appreciate that none of this works overnight too - I hear celebs say they felt better after a few weeks or even immediately, but that doesn't tally with what many are saying here!
I can relate to the lack of libido (which seemed to increase when I first doubled the dose of utrogestan but has now crashed through the floor) and feeling ‘certifiable'. I feel insane and that I've lost control! 
But I won't give up - I know logically I've felt well before and I want to get back there. As I learned from my last experience, it's also a bit of a waiting game which is very frustrating and scary when you feel so unwell.
Big hugs to you - how are you doing at the moment? It's always nice to hear a success story as it gives me hope! X

Ladybt28

« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2019, 12:56:14 PM »

I am in two minds about celebs who spout on about meno!  On the one hand it is good because it pushes the issues into the wider world and recently has made meno a "hot topic" but on the other they have endless resources we don't have access to.  They can get to see people privately at the drop of hat, get tests quickly, see a therapist every week, go for soothing massages or other treatments etc because they can afford to pay for all of this. We could do it too if we have the money, I'm not saying there is no choice, but if you don't have the money well...?

I'm always worried when I post because I'm not sure whether "success" is the right word...its all relative to how bad you are or have been in the past and how long.  I also worry about the fact that I just persisted regardless and worry that I give the impression that someone asking questions will take it that I am saying you should carry on regardless.  I'm not but all I can say is that for me there was no other choice...things could not continue, I had tried 6 other options of hrt and none had worked so I just had to keep going.  I would say that on the depressive side, that is never going to go away fully but it has lessened now the other issues have come under control.
I am currently on a progesterone phase and it's winter - not a good thing...I am down a small hole at the moment for a few days but now I know it wont last long and will lift...before this period in my life it was pretty much constant...I think over time my brain has rewired itself a little bit because my body is not in a permanent state of chaos!

Keep posting Redlocks...I found the ladies here so helpful and supportive whilst I was in the depths of despair and/or panicked out of my mind...its nice to be able to just vent and know you won't be judged and kind words will come.  It doesn't actually fix anything but it takes the isolation away and gets it out of your head and onto a page.
Much love x

Penelope

« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2019, 07:07:31 PM »

Thank you! Are you free today? I'll fish out any blood test results I've got - I don't mind putting them up here if it happens to help anyone.
Just feel so awful at the moment.
X
Ready anytime honey.

Redlocks

« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2019, 03:32:05 PM »

Penelope, thank you  :)  I'll have a look through my doctor's notes - if I remember correctly one thing I noticed was that my TSH was lower when measured privately, but has always been over 2 when I've had tests through the NHS  ???

Redlocks

« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2019, 03:40:06 PM »

And Ladybt28, thank you for your support :) I agree with you on celebs and don't feel that you were giving me 'advice', just kindness :) I think I do need to persist, and it does take a long time.
I saw a consultant today and she seemed to think it could be that my estrogen has dropped, but will have to check when my test results are available. I hate feeling like I can't relax when usually I'm able to switch off! I don't even know exactly what's scaring me so much, the feeling is just there...
X

Redlocks

« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2019, 09:00:52 PM »

Hey Penelope,
Last time they checked my TSH was when I went to A&E with a panic attack last November, and it was 2.63. So, normal - I wish there was an explanation for why I feel like I'm going crazy! :(
X

clio

« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2019, 10:23:56 AM »

Due to not being able to get my normal hrt iwas put on estradot and 200 utrogestan, it knocked ten bells out of me I felt awful and the cramps were the worst I ever had. Saw my GP yesterday who told me to skip a month of the utrogestan then take just 100 the following month, I'm hoping my usual hrt will soon become available as these just don't suit me. Clio

Redlocks

« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2019, 11:22:30 AM »

Hello Clio,
I'm so sorry you couldn't get your usual prescription. - the HRT shortage has been a nightmare!
I've had terrible cramps as well but the anxiety is the worst for me. I felt terrible yesterday, and this morning had a panic attack and found I'd started my period.
How are you feeling now?
X
Pages: 1 [2]