Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Stupid question day!  (Read 2889 times)

kazy68

Stupid question day!
« on: December 12, 2019, 10:57:37 AM »

Hi lovely lady's
Just over two weeks ago I had brown spotting for a week, nothing unusual had this before,
Fast forward to yesterday evening, went to loo, full on bleeding, wasn't expecting that,
Had  cramps and back ache for a few days but didn't expect a bleed, woke up this morning expecting the worst, went to loo, next to nothing on pad and only mild brown when I wipe,
Here's the stupid question is this normal ??
This has never happened before and I'm not sure if this happens like full on to nowt in a matter of hours, still have cramps and back ache too, this will class as my 5th only period this year be glad when it's all over.

Any help or advice appreciated
Thank you
Karen
X

Dotty

Re: Stupid question day!
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2019, 11:19:33 AM »

Hi if you're in peri menopause this is normal x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2019, 11:49:16 AM »

Firstly - no question or worry is stupid here.

Yep, that was normal for me.  Years of intense period pains from age 12: clotty bleeds for 10-14 days, then a 10 day gap B4 starting again.  Then the bleeds became less, with months in-between without.  Then I would have 2/3 together with red blood.  Always my bleeds faded to brown at the end.

HOw do you feel over-all?

kazy68

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2019, 12:08:16 PM »

Thx for that CLKD, strange how you can feel better when you know your not alone,
Over the last week I have had outrageous anxiety, thankfully calming down a bit now, very tearful, internal shakes, hot and cold flushes aching everywhere its unreal and the dreaded fuzzy head, it's awful not knowing if all these things we go through is normal, so glad we can share our thoughts/experiences and fears with each other.

Thank you
Karen
X

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2019, 01:22:47 PM »

It's HORMONES  >:(

Does over the counter pain relief help aches and pains?  As oestrogen levels drop so muscles may become lax = aches and pains.  Do read our threads about vaginal atrophy too.

Hurdity

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2019, 02:23:22 PM »

Hi kazy68

I feel sad that anyone feels their question is stupid - really any question is reasonable as how else will you know? I knew zero about menopause even when I started skipping my periods. All I thought was periods would stop and I would get hot flushes and then that would be it - back to normal except yay no bleeding. Little did I know.... ::) !

Anyway - here is a link to info on this website about bleeding: https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/heavyperiods.php . Bottom line is - if it is very abnormal for you then get it checked out but a normal period coming at odd times isn't likely to be, especially when they have become sporadic as yours have.

Do not hesitate to seek treatment if you find that your symptoms become too difficult to cope with such that they are affecting your quality of life. In any case if you are under the average age of natural menopasue (51/52) then it's a good idea to think about taking HRT to replace oestrogen, to help protect your heart and bones, if you are able to.

Hurdity x

kazy68

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2019, 03:06:17 PM »

Thank you for replies,
CLKD, I do take paracetamol and ibuprofen to much lately if you ask me,
As for the reading up, I think I will make a conscious effort to may be read more before I post,
Thankfully I don't seem to have any problems with my lady bits, well not yet anyway, might try keeping my big mouth shut never know what is round d the corner.
Hurdity, thank you for the link will go have a read,
I was 51 on tuesday, but gp  will not give me hrt as he says im to over weight,
If I'm honest I would give it a go now been struggling for a while now no two days the same and the bad ones are starting to take over the good ones, might be a good time for a visit to gp there has to be something out there that will help.

Thank you
Karen
X

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2019, 03:21:23 PM »

No need to read B4 you post - forewarned is forearmed though  ;)

kazy68

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2019, 07:28:51 PM »

Still feeling pants,
Still losing brown stuff, no need for pads just liners, mainly when I pee, my pee has all brown  bits in and then when I wipe, so sorry tmi,
Feel like I'm shaking but you can't see it it's all inside,
Woke this morning with awful dizzy feeling, sat for a while and thought just get on with it,
So did house work 2 loads of washing and suppose I did feel better for getting of my ass,
Just popped to morrisons to get a few bits and it was so quiet there thankfully, ppl looking at me like I'm crazy in just Jean's and tshirt was so hot, down medicine isle again picked up menopace I know it's not everyone's first choice but I will give anything a go, so tired, the only place i feel comfortable is home, sound stupid but I feel safe at home with oh, he is so supportive will do anything to help.
Hope i feel a bit better tomorrow got so many things to do get on top of before xmas.

Karen
X

Hurdity

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2019, 07:52:59 PM »

Thank you for replies,
CLKD, I do take paracetamol and ibuprofen to much lately if you ask me,
As for the reading up, I think I will make a conscious effort to may be read more before I post,
Thankfully I don't seem to have any problems with my lady bits, well not yet anyway, might try keeping my big mouth shut never know what is round d the corner.
Hurdity, thank you for the link will go have a read,
I was 51 on tuesday, but gp  will not give me hrt as he says im to over weight,
If I'm honest I would give it a go now been struggling for a while now no two days the same and the bad ones are starting to take over the good ones, might be a good time for a visit to gp there has to be something out there that will help.

Thank you
Karen
X

Right - your doc is wrong! Being overweight is absolutely NOT a contra-indication to HRT unless you also have other conditions as a result which need to be controlled before starting HRT like high blood pressure.  There are general increased health risks attached to being overweight (like various cancers, and cardio-vascular disease etc) - and for these reasons if you are able to embark on a slow weight reduction programme with the support of your doc (depending on how overweight you are), can only be of benefit. It may well also make your experience of menopausal symptoms not so intense eg re sweats etc

However this is not a reason to deny you HRT to control the unpleasant symptoms of flushes and sweats if they are interfering with your ability to function. If you are at risk eg through high BP there are natural ways to control it or medication - I can't comment on whether there are women on here taking BP medication, overweight and also on HRT. As far as I understand it transdermal HRT rather than oral would be recommended if you are very overweight and/or have high BP. Please do ask to see another doc who understand hRT and or can work with you if necessary.

I mean if you felt better overall due to reduction in menopausal symptoms ( you can argue) you may well feel more inclined to take steps to reduce your weight.

Also have you had thyroid function tests? Some women become mildly hypothryoid around the time of menopause and this would cause unexpected weight gain - but you would be feeling cold and possibly have cold sweats too?

Apologies if you've said all this before and I have answered in similar vein as I can't remember everyone's story...

Please don't give up nor put up with symptoms that you don't have to...

Hurdity x

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2019, 09:03:14 PM »

One should not have to suffer menopausal symptoms!

So - your GP thinks you are overweight: what support have you been offered?  If your GP won't prescribe due to your weight he/she should be referring you for appropriate discussions with a dietician to work through what you can eat in order to lose weight. 

That brown discharge is probably hormonally triggered.  I had it too.  Nuisance !!

It is easier to stay at home, one doesn't have to dress up with the worry of having to strip suddenly or put more layers on  ::)

kazy68

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2019, 07:46:14 PM »

Sorry for late reply,
Hurdity, no signs of high BP actually my BP has always been bang on never had any problem with it, I always have thyroid  test every january as it does run in family so far so good no problem there either,
CLKD, no help offered reguarding weight, last year I lost just over 3st with weight watchers, went through a rough patch and put half back on this year will be going again in the new year,
Still feeling pants tho, had awful bout of diarrhoea on friday night didn't get to bed until 3.30am felt rough on saturday down to lack of sleep and rough tummy, still losing brown rubbish with the occasional red the stomach and back ache are awfully intense come and go in waves, feel bloated,  and can sometimes feel every muscle in my stomach go tight from one side to the other, never been one to suffer from cramps like this maybe a twinge here and there but nothing like this, cant eat properly feel bloated all the time, just so uncomfortable, shakes seem to have subsided a little head still fuzzy and I'm tired, so so tired, does any of this sound familiar feel so worn down by it all.

Karen
X

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2019, 09:27:33 PM »

Yep. Sounds familiar.  Was it a 1-off bout or the runs for a few hours?   10 mins. prior to a bleed I would have to dash to the loo, the runs took over: even if a period wasn't due.

kazy68

« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2019, 09:45:15 PM »

Yes it was CLKD, pain was horrendous then it began, I'm more bothered with the stomach cramps/aches that are going on pain killers work for an hour then back not liking it at all wish it would just go now a few weeks of this is enough for anyone   :(

Karen
X

Penelope

« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2019, 12:06:01 AM »

You should be diagnosed for your thyroid by family history and your symptoms NOT blood tests.
Blood tests can come back normal like mine did But I have Hashimoto's with a lot of weight gain.
Feeling hot all the time is also a symptom for some and others feel the cold.
Push for a thyroid antibodies test.xx
Pages: [1] 2