Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: PERI, POST ??WHO KNOWS !!  (Read 998 times)

SV66

PERI, POST ??WHO KNOWS !!
« on: December 12, 2019, 09:23:04 AM »

Morning all

Just wondering if someone could enlighten me, I'm not sure at what point of the menopause I'm at, I'm 53 (54 in January) and have been on Estradot 37.5 patches for not quite a year which I do believe have made me feel a little more human again.

When I was about 46 I started to feel very low, panic attacks, palpatations, tired, trouble sleeping, trouble with indigestion and now thinking about it I think that was the start of the menopause

I have the mirena coil and have had this for nearly 10 years, obviously getting it renewed when required - I also have fibroids

How do you know at what point you are at with the menopause when you have a coil plus on HRT

Last week I bled for one day, the last bleed before that was May time, I have an achy pain in my lower abdomen (like a dull period pain) so not sure what my body is doing

I don't want to go to the docs as I feel I'm always there at the minute with one thing or another which normally relates to the menopause - so if anyone can shed some light that would be very helpful

thank you

:)

Hurdity

Re: PERI, POST ??WHO KNOWS !!
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2019, 09:58:44 AM »

Hi SV66 - the answer is you won't know once you start HRT before menopause and especially as you have had a Mirena coil as this often stops periods well before menopause. The only way to stop is to come off all HRT, wait 12 months and see if you have a period. If not, you're post. Most of us who are feeling well on HRT don't want to do that so remain in a state of blissful ignorance! However the stats on this site I think (or somewhere) state that 80% of women  (in the west? Developed countries? UK? Not sure) have gone through menopause by age 54 but that still leaves a substantial minority who haven't. The Mirena I imagine is also helping to protect your uterus from fibroid growth as a result of the extra oestrogen.

However if you are peri and your cycles are sporadic and without the Mirena might be heavy - presumably this will show as a bleed or spotting sometimes?

You could also be guided by the women in your family - mother, sisters if any - when they went through menopause as there is an inherited component.

However if you have not bled for a long time with the Mirena (ie since May until now) it might be worth having a word with the doc as you're almost 54 - but I didn't even start HRT at this age (was late peri though). The fact that you;ve come on here to asks shows to me you are wondering - so only your doc can actually give you the reassurance you are seeking. Most likely a late peri blip....but do get it checked out as it is unusual for you (even though the achey pain sounds like a period) - that's what the docs are there for.

Hurdity x

SV66

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2019, 10:16:57 AM »

thank you x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2019, 12:05:26 PM »

Or see your Practice Nurse?

Let us know how you get on?

SV66

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2019, 12:46:17 PM »

Thank you all

I have a docs appointment for next Tuesday

x

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2019, 01:23:10 PM »

Well done.  Maybe take a list with you ?

Hurdity

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2019, 02:17:16 PM »

I'm not sure of the role of a practice nurse in this CLKD? It sounds to me not a routine matter as in surely only a doctor can really assess whether or not refer for investigation, unless I don't understand their role?

However glad you've got an appt SV66 and be sure to update us as to how you get on?

Hurdity x

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2019, 03:00:18 PM »

Our Practice Nurses are a quicker way of getting to see a GP, if she is concerned she will call in the Doctor working in the surgery.  Our Nurse Practitioner is another level, more qualified and able to prescribe.