Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Testosterone only?  (Read 914 times)

rosie17

Testosterone only?
« on: December 11, 2019, 07:55:14 PM »

I'm just curious - is anyone using testosterone only for menopausal symptoms?

rosie17

Re: Testosterone only?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2019, 01:04:56 AM »

Hi Birdy,

I have done a search for posts regarding testosterone, but don't recall that anyone is using it for symptoms with no added estrogen. A while back, Hurdity (I think) posted a link to an article by Nick Panay stating that

"Although the NICE NG23 guideline recommends that systemic HRT should be prescribed before a trial of testosterone, there are trial data in women with HSDD which indicate that testosterone used without systemic estrogen, is equally effective and safe."

I just wondered if anyone had decided to use only testosterone. I'm really tempted to give it a try. My doctor is okay with trying as long as we do frequent lab work. Estrogen has never done much for me.

Here's the link if anyone hasn't read it yet:

https://thebms.org.uk/publications/tools-for-clinicians/testosterone-replacement-in-menopause/

Alicess

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2019, 06:12:53 PM »

I've read a story somewhere about a women who used testosterone without estrogen. She was very happy about it ( and lost an enormous amount of weight) Can't find the article anymore.
Testosterone can convert to estrogen but everybody responds differently as with standard HRT.

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2019, 07:59:07 PM »

Hi there - I'm a bit tired at the moment so no energy to look up studies etc but yes I remember that there have been some. However in post-menopausal women - why would one want to supplement with testosterone rather than oestrogen?  It may well be effective for libido in the short term but would further tip the balance in the body in favour of testosterone which happens naturally at menopause because oestrogen drops dramatically and faster than testosterone. Surely intuitivley one would want to replace the female dominant hormone first?

re tesosterone converting to oestrogen - yes it is a  precursor - but I have yet to see evidence that replacement exogenous (externally given) T does this. Are there studies of this both being replaced on its own and also with oestrogen? The only study I remember reading about this was the product info for the Intrinsa patch and replacement T in the trials had no effect on oestrogen levels.

If T generally converted to oestrogen then transgender men (?) - women wanting to change to men - would never be able to achieve this hormonally, unless this is too simplistic a view?

Hurdity x

Alicess

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2019, 07:29:04 PM »

I hope your better days will arrive soon, Hurdity, especially with these bizzy days. It can be quite stressful when you're already feeling tired. Take care 🌷

I did read experiences of women whose estrogen levels went up after administration of testosterone (whilst already on estrogen replacement) and I did read one study about it but I've lost the most part of my bookmarks so can't give any reference. And it happens quite frequently in men on TRT, hence the aromatase inhibitors. But I would like to read more research.

Hurdity

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2019, 07:49:04 PM »

Thamks Alicess - it's only the cycle you know - prog withdrawal and bleed (gets a bit much in your 60's!) and also the previous night before last all the stress about the election staying up to hear some results and then waking up durintg the night to look at my phone! Yes very busy busy - with lots of family coming to stay at various times!

If you find any more research I would be grateful as I always remember that Intrinsa one so thought it was generally applicable - but I know aromoatase is a common factor - but whether it is actually stimulated to convert when T is given exogenously is another matter!

Hurdity x