Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Migraine after switchibg to estradiol tablet  (Read 590 times)

Diddle15

Migraine after switchibg to estradiol tablet
« on: December 11, 2019, 04:48:57 PM »

This is my first post 😬
Ive been taking hrt for 6 months now, started with estrogen only patches (due to hysterectomy 10 yrs ago one ovary remaining)
Changed to 2mg tablets 3 mths ago, didn't feel patches were doing anything and doctor advised trying tablets instead, started feeling better after first 6 weeks, but since change of brand feel like all my symptoms are coming back aswell as new symptom migraines 🤪😔
Any advise would be greatly appreciated

Wrensong

Re: Migraine after switchibg to estradiol tablet
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2019, 04:57:27 PM »

Hi Diddle  :welcomemm:

I'm afraid oral HRT is associated with greater risk of migraine & though I appreciate this is a new condition for you, those of us who are already migraineurs beforehand are advised to use only transdermal methods.  The greater peaks & troughs of hormone levels we get from oral HRT are thought to be a migraine trigger.  Transdermal methods, especially patches, provide steadier levels.  Though there is still some fluctuation over the life of each patch, these seem to be better tolerated by migraineurs.

I've had classical migraine since age 18 & developed a 2nd form - ocular in late 30s so stuck with transdermal methods for the 1st 2 years on HRT, without these triggering major migraine symptoms.  Though by then I was already postmenopause & my migraines had mostly stopped prior to starting HRT. 

I did cautiously try Femoston Conti (oral combi product) for a short while earlier this year, having exhausted most transdermal options without adequate symptom relief, but after 2-3 weeks began having daily headaches & did not want to risk these becoming full blown migraines, so I went to another transdermal option instead.

Could you maybe try Oestrogel, Sandrena or another patch brand rather than continuing with tablet form HRT?   I realise with shortages the choice is currently limited.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2019, 06:48:59 PM by Wrensong »